Engine temp questions

Pathmaster95

Well since i got my pathy back in the fall I have noticed my temp runs rather low, like just above the C. Now that winter is here and it is getting down in the 20's at night it rarely rises above the C. I don't worry so much about the engine itself but it would be nice for the heater to blow a little hotter than what it is. I don't really want to put a peice of cardboard behind my grill because during the daytime it gets back up in the 50's and I don't want it to run too hot. Would changing the thermostat help? Or is there some other trick that you guys up north use to help with this problem?

Edited by Pathmaster95

Well since i got my pathy back in the fall I have noticed my temp runs rather low, like just above the C. Now that winter is here and it is getting down in the 20's at night it rarely rises above the C. I don't worry so much about the engine itself but it would be nice for the heater to blow a little hotter than what it is. I don't really want to put a peice of cardboard behind my grill because during the daytime it gets back up in the 50's and I don't want it to run too hot. Would changing the thermostat help? Or is there some other trick that you guys up north use to help with this problem?

You could try checking the junkyards to see if anyone left their winter front on the truck. I have one on both my trucks, the 93 came with one and the 95 I got it from a JY for free, in mint condition too!

Yeah, there is one part of it, that is a bug screen that clips over the grille, and then the winter front part is a cover that blocks the grille it pops on with buttons, like on a thin jacket. There are 2 vents that can be opened and closed like little gates, they're sealed with Velcro...

a 180 degree theromostat will help. Also, the themal effieciency of coolant is less than the water we mix it with, it is used to prevent rust and raise boiling temperatures so the water doesn't evaporate on us. So running 100% coolant will shorten warm up times and maintain warmer engine temps. I did this last winter and then went back to 50/50 in the summer.