NZ Terrano rust problem

TerranoNZ

I think it goes beyond the rear seat area. The whole truck is subjective to rust, if you search around the net you will find many a owner who couldn't pass inspection because of rust. I know this topic has been beaten to death but it's a dam shame. I'm not one who believes this is entirely a lack of maintenance issue, I do believe however that rock salt expedited the problem. Maybe am just bitter because my beloved WD 21 has the rust bug.......

As does mine. I've gone over in my head a million times what to do with it.....and I've figured that my little welder, and sheet metal for body parts, and my friends bigger welders and steel plate for the frame, and I should be able to keep her running for a few more years. I just hate to give up on it, as I do love the rusty ol POS. :lol:

my truck also had a hole under the rear seats and also underneath the gas pedal. I had to cut all the rusted metal out and bolt some new plates from underneath to cover it all up. There is a seam in the body right under the rear seats that salt and slush likes to get stuck on and eat away. The hole under the gas pedal probably came from constant heating and cooling from the exhaust in the winter time. It melts the salty slush which works it's way deeper between the metal and eventually eats everything it touches. I know my repairs wont last another couple years, but at least I slowed it down a little. It was getting pretty bad under there :hide:

Edited by skrillaguerilla

here's a couple threads about my endeavors with rust:

Hole in floor

Shiatty fender

I'm no stranger to grinding and sanding. I spent 2 weekends before the winter hit underneath the truck, wire wheeling the frame and underside to get rid of the flakes. I brushed on some tremclad black paint and got it oil sprayed before the city started salting the roads. I also grinded down and filled the passenger side wheel wells. It was worse than the driver's side and i've given up on the front fenders. I'm still trying to find some jy parts to replace them but every truck i've come across in the jy has the same problem.

You will never beat the rust. only delay the inevitable :angry:

Yep, I now have a hole big enough to drop my cell phone through no problem..don't ask how I know this. I'm just worried that the rear seatbelt anchors are becoming useless, because my kids sit back there.....may be a 2 seater soon....

NZ! Wellyz/Poneke! Aotearoa - Land Of The Long White Cloud WAVEY  How 'bout you?

CH-CH you should visit :takebow:

1) Try the new people tread and intro yourself.

2) Have you voted in the Truck of the month.

3) Check out the Aus/NZ thread

Good to see another Kiwi WAVEY

Edited by TerranoNZ

I'll be in Chch on Saturday! I wont have my truck with me though... I'm a mainlander too, but been based in Welly a few years now... I still gotta get around to fitting my snorkel and maybe we could drive some rivers down there!

Hell yeah -bounce- -bounce- :D