Pathy Rear Lift?

Trialsin26

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has just lifted the rear of there Pathfinder. My Pathfinder is only 2 wheel drive and really don't want a full lift. I just want to lift the rear end about 2 inches because I carry a lot of cargo and the rear tends to sink. Has anyone done this? Any suggestions on where to look for parts? Do I just have to replace the rear springs? Any idea on cost? The most off roading I do is to and from bike trails. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Trialsin- yes, a better option than lifting the rear would be the airlift bags, like these. New rear lift springs would make the car look funny when unloaded.

Knightryder- yes, you could drop the rear an inch or two, but why not drop the whole car? I don't see the point in just dropping the rear. :blink:

Thanks,

The Air Bags look like my best option. I'm trying to eliminate the bottoming out when I have people in the back or loaded up with bikes and gear. I also noticed that the back looks lower then the front. Would you recommend getting the compress unit too? -bounce-

It would be nice to have the compressor onboard to make adjustments. I have Gabriel airshocks on the rear my 95, and I need to go to the gas station to fill them up. The little compressors that plug into the cigarette lighter don't have enough pressure.

I "think" that the 96 and newer may have struts in the rear and not shocks. It seems to me that the best solution may indeed be the air bag option, or you could add beefier springs, but the only negative with the latter is a stiffer daily ride.

Well, Thanks for everyone's help. I think I'm really going to like this list. I aslo think I'll go with the Air Bags and think about the compressor for a while. For $68.00 it should be a cheap fix. I'll get it after I purchase my KN Filter and let you know how it goes. Thanks Again. -alcohol-

My 2001 Pathy has struts in the front and shocks in the back. Thanks to Dean's web page I have a pretty good idea on how to install the Air Lift Kit, and I think I'll get the compressor as well. -study-

• 2 weeks later...

I've had the AirBags on my 97 for a little over a year and can add a few points. I got them for towing my boat in the summers since the rear end can really tail drag as you mentioned. I didn't get the on board compressor since it was easy enough for me to fill them up before towing and let out air after. A couple of points you might not have considered:

- These will definitely lift your rear end, even at minimum air pressure (5PSI) I still think the rear on mine is +2 inches over stock.

- Your ride at minimum air pressure will be a little bouncier when unloaded

- You will have decreased braking power to the rear drums. The load sensing valve increases pressure to the rear drums when the rear end level drops. Since the air bags will keep the level higher your pressure to the rear brakes does not increase. An important point to consider if you are hauling or towing a significant weight.

Should be easy, just haven't gotten around to trying it. Just something to keep in mind when you put in the airbags and go down the road with a lot of weight. For a 97 the appropriate spring length is 194mm(7.64in) without weight and 235mm(9.25in) with weight so just a little over an inch and 1/2 adjustment.