Hanging ground wire in engine bay

Dave_C

Hey, noticed after all this time that I've got this ground wire (I'm assuming it's a ground wire, not sure) with a ring terminal just kind of hanging down near by steering shaft close to the steering box. It's not connected, and the ring terminal is completely in tact, so it doesn't look like it broke off or was ripped out. Everything on my truck works, so I'm kind of wondering if maybe it's for a model that has power windows, locks, etc....as mine does not. I haven't connected it because I wasn't sure what it was for...it's still just kind of hanging there. I can see it clearly when I look into the front driver's fender well....who knows? Thanks if you have any ideas.

Dave.

Grounding strap that most likely was connected to the Exhaust shield.... I moved all of mine to the Valve cover screws...

I'm heading outside now to see where it could have came from or what it's attached to on the other end...I'll check it all out and see what's what..thanks! :)

That was indeed what it was Casey T! Good call ;) There's one still attached on the passenger side. This may be a dumb question, but why are those grounded to the body?

Thanks again!

And also there are several other sensors that are grounded to the engine block, but the primary purpose of the straps from the manifold are for the O2 sensors since they are grounded through the manifold.

They will also draw Static charges created from the fan/engine/tranny away from the engine and ground them out through the frame and body... This way you dont go boom when filling the gas tank

WAVEY

I have seen these on just about every car I have ever worked on.... there are also performace grounding kits available.

When I was in the AirForce everthing was grounded out :contract: Almost got busted once for having a defective grounding strap.....

Cool guys (and gal), thanks for the replies...I was able to reattach the hanging strap where it should be....well, not exactly as the bolt is missing on the heat shield where it used to attach, so I put it on the next one back ;) Genius I tell ya :P;)

• 7 years later...