cpu under the seat

cohen

I remember seeing a page on cardomain.com where some kid relocated his cpu to the back, and he did a write up about it. I've been looking for it and don't have any luck finding the page again. If you know how to or a page on how to relocate it, please let me know. sly

A few of my Xterra and Fronty friends have moved it into their glove box. I think the wiring is different, but a glove box is much easier to wire to than running cables to the back.

For now I have two spare ECUs that I pulled out of junkyards and I waterproofed mine pretty well. I will move it later on when i have time, but I think it will involve cutting all the wires and extending them quite a bit.

This may apply to some other models as well but I am not sure.

To move the ECU you need to get at the two 10mm bolts that secure it to the floor behind the dash.

On the X's you will need to pull the plastic piece off that has the little pocket(in my pic it's the pocket with the paper stuffed in it) Next you will need to get the duct vent (black plastic thingy) out of your way, this will get you access to the two bolts.  On the Fonty's you can get at the bolts without doing all this.

Disconnect the battery, and remove the harness from the ECU (10mm bolt on the white plastic cap, careful!!!  Don’t bend any pins)  The is a blue harness connector that is clipped to the top of the ECU, slide it off.  Carefully cut the 2 black zip ties holding the wire bundle to the ECU.

Pull the ECU out towards the drivers’ side and carefully pull the wire harness out towards the passenger side.

Remove the 5 or 6 gold colored screws that hold the two mountings brackets to the ECU.  Remove the white plastic cap from the end of the wire harness.

At this point all you need to do is pull out the glove box and cut holes in to it for the wire harness to pass through and mount the ECU.  I can’t really describe the cuts but if you want a better pic I can see what I can do.

Open:

gb1.jpg

Closed:

gb2.jpg

glove box is the most popular spot (i can't.. graphic equalizer in there already).. some mount it on the roof between the driver & pass visors........ and some do relocate to the back but that's an awful long way...... also.. on our sand rails, alan (on the one that got stolen) got a waterproof electrical box and mounted it between the seats with all the switches in it (you can mount a waterproof box anywhere) ;)

yeah I just found the site on cardomain. :hide:

but now im ps2 ready!....after I get my flip out touchscreen monitor with ((dvd player)) :D

I still don't understand why you have to cut the whole bottom part of the glove box out.... :huh:

You don't have to cut the whole bottom part out...I've done the relocation, and only cut out about a 3" square in the back of the glove box to fit the wires through...no problems, and no wires rubbing the cut edges either.