2003 Pathfinder...Mildew Smell?

Guest friskyfrisker

Guest friskyfrisker

Ok...I have a dilema here. I got my Pathfinder in august of 2003. Soon after, the air conditioner started to smell like mildew. Even if it wasn't on, it still smelled. The dealer sent the car out & had the whole system sanitized. Well, less then a year later, the smell is back. The dealership was originally going to give me a new car (a replacement) because mine had other issues also but Nissan Corporation denied it. Yes, I did purchase a brand new car. So, I was wondering if anyone has a similar problem? Thanks!

The condensation from AC will cause mildew smell if you shutdown the engine while AC was still running. One best pratice is to shutdown AC right before you reach the destination and let the fan run on high for a few minutes to dry it up.

Or you can shoot a few shots of Lysol in to the air vents under the wiper outside the windshield. Just make sure that AC is on at full blast and Recir button is off. You may have to do this a few times.

Have you tried the Chamey or some other detailing shop as I have a van that really smells from the kids spilling junk on the rug. After taking it there it smells good for about 2 months.

As for Nissan I'm not surprised they have terrible customer service I told them to go to Dodge/Jeep for some training sessions on how to treat customers.

After dealing with Nissan for my wifes Pathy, I would not get another Nissan I'm fedup with that service they really do suck! I have been to 4 different dealerships 1 is great but 2 Provinces away another is OK but the other 2 are just Nasty.

I have e-mailed Nissan on this talked to them on the phone and nothing 2-3 e-mails phonecalls a week for about 2 months and still nothing.

Oh someone apparently will get back to me. :shrug:

Guest kkanaskie

I've had a similar problem with my 88 PF. The drain hose from the condensor got blocked by dirt or leaves somehow and wasnt allowing the condensation to drain. I figured this out when the passenger side carpet was wet on dry days. Havent had this problem with my 98 PF.

Kurt

Guest friskyfrisker

My concern is that it is a brand new car...2003 Pathfinder LE. I haven't even had the air on this year yet & the smell is back. I bought an air freshener (which does the job & smells decent) but it's just masking the odor. Does anyone know any numbers for Nissan or anyone else that might make a difference? I've been dealing with Nissan since August and they are no help (the customer service). Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest friskyfrisker
I know it sounds silly but there is a hepa filter up by the windshield that filters airflow into the cabin. Have they replaced that as well? Just a thought it sounds like you've done everything else.

They replaced the filter when they disinfected the a/c unit. Actually, the filter has been replaced 3 times. Any other ideas?

If you are sure that it comes from the vents. Check to make sure that you are not getting moisture that is standing anywhere in the vehicle. As well I have to say with it being brand new I would be in the same place that you are with wanting a replacement. The wierd issue here is that the duct work is plastic. Even if you were getting standing water you shouldn't get a mildew smell. If they haven't done it yet. Make them replace or at least take apart the entire duct work under the dash. That would be my next step. After that I would tear everything out of the inside and replace the carpet and the seats. I know that you don't want to go there with this being a brand new vehicle but it has to be one place or the other.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest friskyfrisker

I took the car back to the dealership again last week & they 'sanitized' the a/c unit...again. And it lasted for a few days. Now, every once-in-a-while, I get 'the odor' again. I am going back to them this week & am going to have a long chat with them. Anyone wanna buy a 2003 Pathfinder? :)

:idea: The seal at the bottom of the front window could be loose causing it to let rain in this can easily be overlooked, only found out when she was driving on the highway and it started flapping in the wind. The front windsheild on the drivers side seal at the very bottom is also off.

They are now ordering both the seals for the windsheild. Makes you think how long it's been driven with the seals not sealing and both of us not noticing :shrug: