Gear Whine?

hlcc

I'm hearing a whining noise in 1st through 3rd gear.. Once i hit 4th its all good. its not loud, but you can here it rev or whine with the engine.. any info would be greatly appreciated. Thx..

Might be that your tranny is starting to go on you. Make sure you get it completely full on gear oil(if it's a manual tranny, of course). On the manuals, the fill plug is located too low for a proper fill-up on gear oil. It should take 1.5 quarts more than you can get in there with the plug out. Many people take the shifter off and pour gear oil in from the top.

Does anyone have a pic on removing the shifter and pouring in from the top.

I have to do mine soon and that seems like a hell ofa lot better that my little suction pump.

I can get past the fill hole as well.

Is it very hard to do.

Details please.

Your question mark key must not work, eh? ;)

Remove the leather shifter boot from your floor along with the console. Remove the rubber shifter boot from the floor. Remove whatever holds in the shifter. pour a predetermined amount of gear oil into the resulting hole. Reassemble and drive.

It's not that hard to figure out. -study-

You bet..... WAVEY:beer:

Are there any gotchas in removing the shifter ??

Probably a newbie question but I have never done it before.

It does seem a lot easier then trying to get it in through the filler hole.

I'd say be careful removing and re-installing the shifter. I did this on my old Mitsu pickup years ago in high school, and it had a sort of E-clip deal holding it on. Stupid-sunuva-mitsu-piece-of-*&^%$ design. I went back together well enough, then about 2 or 3 weeks later... suprise! It came apart... while driving down the road! :hide: :furious:

Luckily (?) the engine promply blew apart (again) soon after, that thing was a rolling P.O.S. project. P...