Help with spark plug wires

lgranch

I need some help with plug wires. Will someone in the forum grab a plug wire near the distributor cap and report back it there is a tingle. I want to know if there is a field leak in all pathfinders. I just bought a new set of Belden wires for the pathy and I can feel a tingle right through the wires. In onther vehicles this is not normal until the wires start to degrade.

I knew that go Ole 88 would have an answer to this. No I have a set of high end Beldens on my Pathy. I have been trying to find a good set of wire for 4 months and have come up blank. Where did you get the Taylors from?

I am not sure which wires you are using from Taylor. i looked through the catalog and the they make a set of Spiro-pro which are suppression wires. They also make a set of braided stainless wires that do not claim to be suppression wires. These of course are obvious because they have the braiding.

Also you have no RFI at all??? Which plugs are you running and did you upgrade your coil and the "transformer ?" on the back of the coil? Mine is the old style from 1990 and according to the local Nissan dealer was a cause of RFI problems.

I can spend money I just do not like to keep changing wire sets at $80 a set without getting something for it. Hey thats almost to tanks of gas around here. :eek:

I get a little bit of whine through the stereo speakers, but only if it's turned down to about #2 or 4 on the volume. My volume goes from 0 to 38. At about 16 it gets loud, and at 22 it's almost deafening. :)

I just replaced my plugs with NGK V-Power plugs, and it runs just fine. I have the Taylor Spiro-Pros, and they cost me about $50.

Alrighty, I'm looking at the Taylor wires too, and it says they come in 90°, 135° and 180° plug boot sets. "Universal, V8, blue, 90 degree plug boots, Spiro-Pro wire set" as an example. Which ones of these would I need if I go this route? Magnecors, Nology, Directhits and MSD are all a little too spendy for the likes of me... =)

Alrighty, another question... I'm finding most of these wires in 8mm and 8.5mm... what are the sizes of the stock wires, and do you need to match that size or does it matter if your wires are bigger? Does it present any problems/issues?

I think the multi-angle boots will work fine for the plug ends, but what about the distributor ends? The MSD list has "HEI", "socket" and "90°" as choices for those ends. Check out http://www.msdignition.com/wire_3.htm to see what I'm talking about. Thanks for everyone's time... this is probably just one colossal dumb question. =)

Right now I'm looking at PN 31189, "Universal, 8-cylinder engines, with 90 degree HEI style "spark plug top" distributor caps (GM HEI, Ford Duraspark and MSD Cap-A-Dapt) and multi-angle spark plug boots and terminals, 8.5 mm, helical wound core, silicone jacket, Super Conductor wire set."

You can't use HEI style cap ends on a Pathy, totally wrong style. I would assume that the socket style would be just straight booted cap ends, and the 90 degree ones would be just like stock ends. I'd say the 90 degree distributor end wires with straight plug ends would work allright.