bumper build

sammyb33

just wondering what thickness the ARB bull bars/winch bumpers are...3/16th...1/4....

and i see some of you all with custom bumpers...what was to thick..what was to thin??

sam

What's your goal - to have the bumper protect the vehicle without adding too much weight, or to have it completely dent and nuclear explosion proof?

Using all 1/4" or 3/8" plate will pretty much assure it never dents, but it will be unbelievably heavy.

Myself, I'd rather keep it lighter and let a few "trail trophies" appear over time. If bad enough, I could always replace some panels. I'd rather have dents than an extra 100 pounds out in front of the wheels....

With a design similar to this in mind:

http://www.ryangee.net/nissan/bumper.htm

I will most likely be using 1/8" (maybe 3/16") wall square for the main body tube with reinforcement at winch mounting , with the lower panels made from 1/8" plate. Yeah, they will dent if slammed into a rock, but I don't care. The mounting brackets will be 1/4".

hah, yea i already had that bookmarked...

yea i hear ya. no i definately didnt want the extra weight...i wouldnt mind some trophies...but i think im going to stick with 3/16 down below, and 1/8 up top...