tow hitch for R50

trundle

So, if I have a 98 SE that did not come with a tow hitch or tow package, can I just adda hitch and be good to go, or are there other things that the tow package came with to make towing safer, better, easier (ie. different brakes, oil or transmission coolers, wiring) :shrug: just wondering. I don't plan on doing heavy towing (probably want to rent a UHAUL for moving within the next year and possible some toys in the future)

You will need to install a trailer wiring harness so the lights on the trailer work.

It is highly recommended that you install a transmission cooler, anyways....even if you do not plan on towing. I installed one when I first got my truck (at appx 40k miles), and now have 115k on my original transmission, use synthetic oil, and after the last change (which was a 65k mile interval, the oil looked only mildly used. And I abuse the piss out of my truck!

Guest csm101

I got mine from www.etrailer.com. Its 4 bolts to install if I recall. Less than a hour, easy job. I also bought the wiring harness from them. It was pre made and had plugs to go inline with my rear tail lights. It does not get any simpler. :)

Venge--are you implying that the stock tranny cooler on our R50's is not good enough?? If so where did you get yours and what size is necassary? I figure the bigger the better but I do not know much about them at all. Do you need to add more tranny fluid to compensate for the bigger cooler? :shrug:

There was a big discussion about this recently. Let me see if I can find it.

Edit:

Here's one, but I think the other might be elsewhere....lemme dig more.

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=9267

OK, after a quick scan through the forums in the last 30 days....here's what I came up with.

Auto Tranny Mileage Poll - Lots of T-Cooler discussion

Installation pics of a T-Cooler on WD21 and commentary

More external t-cooler discussion

Tranny saving suggestions - good read if you're towing

another tranny saving suggestion thread

This type of discussion comes up here very frequently as the automatic transmissions that Nissan uses in the Pathfinders are historically weak. Take every preventative precaution that you can to extend the life of your tranny. External cooler, Transmisison oil temperature gauge, synthetic fluid, etc...I have done all of these except for the gauge (which is coming in time), and my truck, at 115k miles, does not exhibit many of the common transmission issues that other Pathfinders of the same vintage are exhibiting.

I bought my T-cooler from Advance Auto Parts. I bought the biggest one they carried (bigger = more efficient cooling, more efficient cooling = cooler fluid, cooler fluid = longer life). It ran me about $40-50. Very cheap investment when you consider a rebuild or replacement transmission can run anywhere from $800-$3000.

Yeah, I had to open up the transmisssion twice on my 95 after an accident and traded it in with no working tranmission when they said they would basically give me the parts for free since the labor was so high (like $1500). I had not seen anyone indicate that the R50's had any tranny issues, but I will start to look into taking some preventative measures. I've got 80,000 miles on my 98, so I think it would still do some good and extend the life, I really would like to keep it for a long time.

Edited by trundle