reindexing torsion bars

nakta

jack up the front end to take the torque off the bars.

Spin down the adjustment arms near the tail end of the vehicle.

On your control arms, slide the boot off, wipe the area clean and mark the t-bar and attachment point so you know where it was. (I marked mine at the adjustment end but my t-bars slipped out at the c-arm end and I had a bitch of a time getting it back to where I needed it, spline-wise)

Slip dust cover boot off adjustment arm end and wipe clean and mark this as well.

Use a couple of big screwdrivers and a hammer to pop off the e-clip at the adjustment end. This should now allow you to move the t-bar backwards to slip the splines out of the socket.

Rotate 1 spline (probably enough) and reinsert into socket. ROtation direction depends on the side you are on but you want the inner side of the t-bar to rotate towards the ground.

Replace the e-clip.

jack the front completely up to make it easier to get the sdjustment arm back together and tightened.

note... if you offroad, I suggest tightening the t-bars so your adjuster is NOT hanging below the crossmember.

Once tightened, lower the front end and see if it's the height you want.

If not lifted enough, repeat procedure and go another spline.

note... there was a fine line that I had to get in the jack height to take all tension off the t-bars and allow me to slip it easily out for adjustment. You may have to play with it a bit to get it out. If anyone had suggestions as to how to easily do it, post. Of course, you could just as easily remove the mount point on the c-arms. I think that's only 3 bolts each.

Edited by k9sar

wipe the area clean and mark the t-bar and attachment point so you know where it was. (I marked mine at the adjustment end but my t-bars slipped out at the c-arm end and I had a bitch of a time getting it back to where I needed it, spline-wise)

Yep, did that too... Guessed wrong the first time, but was able to get it right the second time.

note... if you offroad, I suggest tightening the t-bars so your adjuster is NOT hanging below the crossmember.

:aok:

Of course, you could just as easily remove the mount point on the c-arms. I think that's only 3 bolts each.

Probably not as some are a pita to get to, but I had to loosen all of them regardless. The splines were slightly preloaded and wouldn't just slip out, but fell out when the bolts were loose. The adjustment end didn't want to slip either regardless. I pretty much took everything off, cleaned it up and reinstalled it ( a couple of times :D ). :shrug:

B