Pathy won't start...and I dont know where to start

Guest 95PathDN

Guest 95PathDN

It's been running great. Changed the tranny fluid and oil two days ago (didn't get a filter or a gasket in the tranny pan.)

So today I thought I'd hose down my engine as it was all dirty under the hood. The engine was cool when I did it and I took a brush and just lightly wiped off some of the major dirt. Then I went to start it but it wouldn't turn over. After 2 tries it worked just like normal.

Then I went ahead and played with the wiring of my KC lights and CB; getting the CB finally hooked up for good, but I didn't mess with any other wires. I tried starting it and it didn't turn over again. The next worked perfectly and I backed the Pathy out of the garage.

Then tonight I went to go bowling (and did horribly by the way like a 40 and a 61 :D ) It would not start for the life of me. All my lights work and the dash lights turn on, so I don't think it would be my battery. It doesn't even try to start or turn over. No sounds, no nothing.

Any ideas why this would happen out of the blue? I was going to go up in the mountains tomorrow and do a little shooting and 4wheeling, but that's kinda hard to do if the Pathy won't start.

Where should I begin looking?

Try checking your terminals on your battery to ensure that they're tight. These things are VERY sensitive to correct voltage, and I know when my negative terminal had somehow wiggled itself a little loose, I had the same problem as you're describing.

Could also check that you didn't get the ignition wires wet when you hosed off the engine. The one from the coil to the distributor would be my bet, if any.

Good luck

Check your battery cables first. (clean/retighten)

If it is an autmatic, try holding key on start and jiggle/move the gear selector. (Try neutral.)

Pull the starter ignition wire (small one that does Not go back to the battery) off from the starter solenoid. There should be a plug/connector back about a foot from the starter/solenoid. (There was on a four cylinder I last worked on. Yours could be different.) Have somebody else turn the key and check if you have power on the ignition wire.

If there is power on the ignition wire, it seems to indicate a bad solenoid/starter.

If there is no power on the ignition wire, then it could be a fuse blown, bad connection, bad ignition switch, neutral safety switch or ???

Good luck

Brian

Guest 95PathDN

Well, woke up this morning and it didn't start again. So thought I'd jump it and it worked and has started up perfectly ever since. Took it to a shop to see what they'd say and they thought it might have something to do with the starter relay. They said it is a common Nissan problem. And then they told me to never hose down under the hood--too many electronics in a Nissan to get wet. So hopefully everything is dry and this doesn't happen again!

Time to do a little wheeling on our river--hopefully something challenging!

Thanks guys for the advice--hopefully I won't need it this time around!!! :D

And then they told me to never hose down under the hood--too many electronics in a Nissan to get wet. So hopefully everything is dry and this doesn't happen again!

Time to do a little wheeling on our river--hopefully something challenging!

Just dont go to deep into the water, HAHAHAHAHA!

I don't think the alternator is the problem. After the jump start it worked great. So alternator must be charging battery ok. I think (guess may be better) that your troubles have not ended. Try cleaning battery terminals and all connections going to starter. If you shut down in an isolated spot (or heaven forbid, stall in the middle of the river) and it doesn't start, your 4 letter vocabulary will increase exponentially. NOTHING pisses me off more than a problem that comes back (after I think it is taken care of).

Hope I am wrong here. Have a good weekend!

Brian

Guest 95PathDN

Thanks guys for the pointers. It's only happened twice since my last post. It wouldn't start right before we went to the river, so was a little worried but it worked fine once there (maybe she just wanted to get offroad and was complaining about all the city driving? :D ) But drove back down to school yesterday for 6 hours and no problems. Crossing my fingers right now.

Got her feet wet (front tires) in the water but as I was the only vehicle and didn't want water under my hood, I stayed pretty dry. Lived just 10 miles from this place pretty much my whole life and my friend discovered it only a few weeks ago! Oh ya, Pathy hoods are a good steady mount to prop yourself on if you're ever shooting a rifle. :P