ABS light ,motor ?

JohnnySI

Hey guys hows it goin I cant tell you how much this site helps.....having an edge up on the mechanics makes it alot easier ....for me at least......heres my question last night my ABS light went on.....I went into a store and came out an hour or so later and my battery was dead.........when I lifted the hood up I could hear my ABS motor running even though the car was off and my keys weren`t in it..........well I jumped the car it started no problem, now the ABS lite is off and I dont hear the motor on anymore, any ideas whats goin on oh yeah its a 98 se 4wd with 101K.......thanx in advance ....Johnny

Edited by JohnnySI

• 2 years later...

Next saga in Terrano Malawi - my mechanic says my "ABS motor" is stuffed.

The ABS light was going on and off over a period of several weeks, but mostly the brakes were not working. You had to push down really hard to get the car to come to a stop, especially the first three times you braked in the morning. The pedal would not go to the floor, and you could feel the wheels shuddering at the same time - brakes not gripping equally is what the mechanic said when we test drove.

So I had them check the brakes again after I'd already had a couple other mechanics check everything out without finding anything. This time, he said he found the rear drums were not spaced equally, so he re-spaced them, then one front pad was broken, and they also took the front disks in for "skimming" thinking the problem was the disks, but after all of that, they test drove again, and brakes were still not working.

So finally they took out the "ABS motor", bypassed it, and they say it's working perfectly (I haven't picked it up from the garage yet cause I'm out of town). So they've installed a "t-joint" to officially bypass the ABS motor, and they say the brakes are great now. They say the ABS motor was "faulty". I'll just drive without any ABS brakes for a while . ..

What d'ya reckon?

I hope it wasn't the brake fluid all along, I'd feel pretty dumb then. The previous owner did tell me that he'd had to have the brake line fixed . . .

Anybody ever heard of an ABS motor going bad? How can that happen? And I've been checking the internet, I can't find any ABS motors to purchase. Any ideas?

Anybody ever heard of an ABS motor going bad? How can that happen? And I've been checking the internet, I can't find any ABS motors to purchase. Any ideas?

Well it doesnt happen too often and they are quite expensive.....not something you want to ever replace if you can avoid it.

So finally they took out the "ABS motor", bypassed it, and they say it's working perfectly (I haven't picked it up from the garage yet cause I'm out of town). So they've installed a "t-joint" to officially bypass the ABS motor, and they say the brakes are great now. They say the ABS motor was "faulty". I'll just drive without any ABS brakes for a while . ..

If that is correct and from what Rob said, sounds like you just drive without ABS. Sure it's nice to have, but I've never had it in 20 years of driving and never crashed due to lack of it... :shrug:

B