noise at 1500 rpms

Guest jimmygoogle

Guest jimmygoogle

I have a 2002 Pathfinder. And when I accelerate I hear a rattling underneath the car when the engine hits 1500 rpms. I can reproduce it everytime I hit the gas pedal. However it doesnt happen at 1000 rpms and it doesnt happen at 2000 rpms just 1500.

I brought it to the dealer and he said that this is normal for this engine. I find this hard to believe. Is this true? Also any ideas on what it could be?

mine does the same thing. its the heatshield for the exhaust. its prolly rusted out just like mine. look under your car find you exhaust and tap on the shield and it will more than likely rattle. i just took some muffler tape and taped mine up tight but it recently came off so now i got the rattle back again. im not sure if you can just take the shield off with out it harmin anything.

hopes this helped

Guest jimmygoogle

what does the heatshield look like? and where would it be located. i am not that good with cars but i can figure it out probably if i knew what i was looking at/for.

thanks

just find you exhaust pipe under your car. there should be a shield thing over it and you can tell when you see it. prolly be rusted. but just find you exhaust pipes and tap them and find the rattle and tape it or take it off

Guest jimmygoogle

i just had everything from the catalytic converter back replaced on my pathfinder (>60K miles) - wouldnt this have been spotted then?

i just had everything from the catalytic converter back replaced on my pathfinder (>60K miles) - wouldnt this have been spotted then?

Yeah...I had a few Cat. pipes replaced on mine around the same time for the originals totally rusting out...POS exhausts!

Shoulda just cut if off there and put some turndowns on instead! ;)

navy...i did that and i ended up putting the stock exhaust back on.

heatshield is like 4 10mm bolts holding the one that is most likely bangin around IF thats what the noise is. it prob the one on the passanger side.

navy...i did that and i ended up putting the stock exhaust back on.

I figured...I wasn't really serious about that ;)

Heatshields are over-rated...and they always seem to crack. Could probably wrap the thing in aluminium foil :D