Headlight upgrade

I haven't found them to need much... Nor have I seen much available. The headlights are a unique shape, and they are a good design. For offroad use, most of us add a few driving/spotlights when we really want dawn at midnight...

I just run good bulbs (none of that "look at me I'm a wheenie" blue krap - they reduce visibility and burn out too fast..) and keep them clean.

Hi, I'm a newbie here having just bought my 1991 Pathfinder.

One of the first upgrades I usually do to any car I buy is upgrade the headlights. I was wondering if anyone has done so and if so what did they do?

Thanks!

3 choices:

Good:

• Replace bulbs with a "whiter" light such as PIAA or Sylvania SilverStar

Better:

• Nismo E-code (European) headlights, replace factory headlights in the factory grill

Best:

• Replace grill with truck grill and install aftermarket 5"x7" rectangular headlights, such as Hella Xtreme Vision, or Delta Technologies HID lamps.

Thanks for the info.

I hear you about the blue bulbs, no "all show and no go" for me.

The truck solution was what I was thinking about. I had a hardbody a few years ago and knew that I swapped out the stock lights with Hella euro 5x7's for an incredible difference in lighting.

Can you tell me what would the swap require?

Also, where is a source of the factory euro lights?

Thanks!

Thanks for the info.

I hear you about the blue bulbs, no "all show and no go" for me.

The truck solution was what I was thinking about. I had a hardbody a few years ago and knew that I swapped out the stock lights with Hella euro 5x7's for an incredible difference in lighting.

Can you tell me what would the swap require?

Also, where is a source of the factory euro lights?

Thanks!

Parts for truck grill swap are grill (duh), headlight buckets, headlights. Bolt on affair.

I can't find the part numbers for the E-code Pathfinder lights right now, but I'll do some digging and see if I can find a current source. Used to be available through dealer parts through Nismo catalog, but the catalog is *very* different now :-(

On another note, you can re-wire the headlights with relays and heavier-duty wiring to increase voltage to the bulb and eliminate the infamous headlight switch problems. Add some 65W-low/100W-high bulbs and you've got the equivalent of the 5x7 Hella headlights with minimal swapping and parts locating.

On another note, you can re-wire the headlights with relays and heavier-duty wiring to increase voltage to the bulb and eliminate the infamous headlight switch problems. Add some 65W-low/100W-high bulbs and you've got the equivalent of the 5x7 Hella headlights with minimal swapping and parts locating.

I've done the relay setup, too. You just remove the wires from the headlights and send them to the relay on-off terminal. Then wire the headlights through the relay power terminals. Make sure you switch out the 20A headlamp fuses with 5A fuses for the relays.

Good info! I forgot about Daniel Stern lighting for technical help.

I think for now I'm going to go with Silverstars. Found some for less than $20! :P

Maybe in the future HID's might be a good upgrade. Kicker is that they draw less wattage when they're up and running but put out WAY more light.