Knock Sensor question

Looking into replacing my knock sensor (code 34) on my 1990 SE Pathy, so it will finally run its best.

I know the air Plenum has to come off, but does the intake manifold have to come off also? Haynes manual shows where it is but that's about it. To pay a mechanic the cost of labor is more than my checkbook can handle....about $600.00 I've been told....that's not including the cost of the sensor ($129.00 to $195.00 depending on where you buy one) and the gaskets/seals.

Nissan says my particular pathy doesnt have a knock sensor according to my VIN number...but my computer is programmed for one obviously and I was told it depends on where the vehicle was built. That was kind of confusing to deal with LOL.

thanks, Chris Racine

:help:

Yeah I just emailed 94pathy to ask some specifics about replacing the knock sensor. Thanks for the tip!

Hope yours is running good still since replacing the idle air control motor and solenoid! I have a sputtering idle with some fluctuation at idle and I am hoping it is just the knock sensor since the computer wont let the engine run at its best for the time being. If it still idles funky after replacing the knock sensor then I am looking at the Idle air control system next!! :) It still has great power and good fuel economy...just want it to idle better of course. It also has a K&N style pod air filter and that made a big difference in throttle responce and over all pep.

I had black smoke at start up too for a while until it warmed up and it turned out to be the engine coolant temp sensor being erratic because the harness on it was about to fall apart from age and deteriation from cleaning chemicals and soforth. Mechanic managed to get it connected tight and bye bye black smoke (running rich).

Thanks again....this forum and group is great. -Chris goign to check out ebay too for parts.

• 2 weeks later...

Chris,

Yes your pathy has a knock sensor! It is directlly below your manifold. Dead center towrds the back...You'll have to take the lower manifold off to get to it. It's not hard! If you want some pic's and some info, I'll email them to ya. I replaced mine on my '94 Pathy. I've helped out a few others on this. I really need to try to do a write up and place it on the forum for others.

Need anything let me know.

Travis :beer: