Routing Wires

DTE

I am trying to hook up some offroad lights but i'm having trouble trying to find a place to run wires into the cab?? I couldn't find any available holes that i could route them thru. In any of my old vehicles i was always able to find some space to fit wires but i have not found one yet on the pathy. Where have you guys run your wires?

I ran mine from the battery strait to the firewall then down. there are a couple of hooks you can use for guides. Remove the passenger seat. Drill hole for access to cab and paint w/ primer. Once wire is brought in cab seal penetration with marine goop.

I forgot to look at what year your rig is before posting. Mine is an '87.

Roof lights

Oh yeah, RELAYS RELAYS RELAYS, use them.

if you look up beside the left side of the steering column and above where your left leg rests, there should be a hole in the firewall that pops out right by the washer reservoir in the engine bay. I ran all the power lines for my radio, backup light, old foglights thru there. If not, just grab the drill and make your own. Just make sure you know what's on the other side before you drill through :blink:

On the drivers side of the firewall, under the hood, is a small plate you can remove, slip the wires through then bolt it back in. Here's a shot of it...it's hard to see, but you can see a bolt stickking out without a nut on it...

That plate only exists if you have an automatic. On a manual transmission vehicle, that's where the clutch m/c and reservoir sits.

Behind the #6 spark plug on the firewall, there is a large gromet where the main harness passes through the firewall. You can cut a slice in the grommet and push the wire through. It'll come into the cabin about a foot or so up the firewall behind the gas pedal.

it's a 98, auto, i'll look for that plate first, i found it really hard to find the big gromet behind the engine on that side, but i saw it on the cab side, looks like a TIGHT fit...

I was about to post that you should look for a grommet on the PS firewall, then I realized the 98 year... If you're still in the dark, don't be afraid, its just metal. Find a spot in the foot well or firewall that looks clear and safe on both sides, hopefully down by your feet if you can and out of the way (i.e. no lines or wires, etc.). Then start slow and low and drill through. Once you're sure its ok, go for it. Treat the bare metal, and throw in a rubber grommet over the rough hole for piece of mind. Finally, run wire and you're golden.

ooks like a TIGHT fit...

It's actually not that tight at all.

I've got 2 4ga wires, a 0ga wire and several 10ga wires running through it.

Yes...I did have to lube up the 0ga with some KY Jelly (It's what I had available, shut up!) to get it to go through, but it did. Hell, with that stuff, I bet you could park a Sedan Deville in a dog house! :lol: