2 Questions!

Guest oldcrazy

Guest oldcrazy

Hey folks, I have two questions that I hope people can help with.

First, I have a '98 XE w/ the chrome bumpers. While sexy, they are starting to rust through from salt. I was wondering if anyone here has any experience in switching out to the black bumpers from an LE. Is this even possible? If anyone has any insight, I'd be glad to hear it!

Second, I don't goo off pavement too often, but enjoy the occasional excursion. My Pathy is stock and I don't know if I should bother messing with the tires and suspension? I don't have a lot of spare money laying around (if anyone does, give me a ring :P ) What would you folks suggest for the budget minded owner of a '98?

First, I have a '98 XE w/ the chrome bumpers. While sexy, they are starting to rust through from salt. I was wondering if anyone here has any experience in switching out to the black bumpers from an LE. Is this even possible? If anyone has any insight, I'd be glad to hear it!

I don't see why they wouldn't fit. I'm not too familiar with first gen. R50's, but I'm pretty sure there's very little if any difference. Best of luck buying some! I can't imagine they're all that cheap!

Edited by navygz19

Second, I don't goo off pavement too often, but enjoy the occasional excursion. My Pathy is stock and I don't know if I should bother messing with the tires and suspension? I don't have a lot of spare money laying around (if anyone does, give me a ring :P ) What would you folks suggest for the budget minded owner of a '98?

I know some guys that have wheeled with stock trucks & tires and still have some fun off road... momentum and a bit of giver in the right place will get you places. If you only have a bit of cash to spend, I would say go with a set of AT's, as you will also appreciate them in the winter if you live in a snowy climate.

Yes, the bumpers will interchange. You can occasionally find the black and chrome pieces on eBay.

As for a budget upgrade to help your off-road performance, get a good set of All-Terrain tires when your current ones wear out.

Yes, the bumpers will interchange. You can occasionally find the black and chrome pieces on eBay.

As for a budget upgrade to help your off-road performance, get a good set of All-Terrain tires when your current ones wear out.

Adding to that, not only a good set of all-terrains, but if you have the stock 15x6 chrome steelies I would swap those out, at least with the 15x8s on the SE or some newer Pathfinder wheels, or go aftermarket. Then you can move up to a 31" tire or if you have 16"s, you can at least do a 255/70-16.

If you are planning to get into off roading, a cheaper solution to the bumper problem may be to get your bumpers rhino lined. You would just need to sand & primer the spots where it is rusting. It will save you the cost of new bumpers & protect against rock chips. I have LONG been considering doing my bumpers & the lower sides of mine with it. (although my pathy is black so it will be MUCH less noticable than say a Silver or Red pathy:-)

If you are planning to get into off roading, a cheaper solution to the bumper problem may be to get your bumpers rhino lined. You would just need to sand & primer the spots where it is rusting. It will save you the cost of new bumpers & protect against rock chips. I have LONG been considering doing my bumpers & the lower sides of mine with it. (although my pathy is black so it will be MUCH less noticable than say a Silver or Red pathy:-)

Absolutely agree with that, but since the 1999.5+ has plastic bumpers, I was under the impression that you cannot Rhinoline plastic?

Am I wrong on that?