Strange trans problem, 93 Pathfinder

Guest jerdude

Guest jerdude

I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this strange proble with the transshifting I am having. My 93 Pathfinder automatic transmission will suddenly race on the way from first to second. I shift into neutral, turn the key in the ignition onc click back, put the truck back in drive and then it shifts normally like nothing happened. This doesn't happen all the time, but to hear the engine suddenly revving that high scares the crap out of me, is unsafe driving, and can't (duh) be good for the truck. The gears are never grinding, just this weird no shift thing solved by switching to neutral, and turning the ignition key one click down. Is this a bad switch on the trans or the actual trans itself? Thanks, any help would be greatly appreciated. -jerdude

That is wierd...sounds like the transmission computer is messing up on the solenoid lockup sequence. Or your fluid level could be low. Checked the fluid recently? Perhaps a nice flush and refill could help. Taking the pan off for a gasket change and filter isn't really necessary because the "filter" is really just a fine mesh screen, plus you usually have to drop the exhaust to get the pan off. Tight fit! Anyway, I would recommend getting it flushed and filled, along with a shift additive that helps slipping transmissions as a first line of attack. There's really not that much you can do to investigate auto tranny problems like that aside from taking the transmission apart to see what happened insied, you know?

I'm with 88pathoffroad. Next time it does this try different things, stop and try reverse, shift through the gears manually, 1st, 2nd, drive, overdrive. If nothing else seems to kick it back in other than shutting the ignition off and on again, I would susspect the computer.

Guest jerdude

88: Thanks for the reply. I've been checking the trans fluid level very often and the level is always fine and the fluid looks clean. I'll follow your advice about flushing and filling. Is there a Nissan only/specific trans fluid that I should be using when I refill? Thanks, -jer

The auto tranny is totally controlled by the computer. When it shifts etc. So the fact that you can reset it most probably means that the trans is ok and that the computer is ok. The most probable cause of the problem is a sensor. There are a lot of sensors on this rig, everything from an rpm sensor to a fluid pressure sensor. The trick is which one is the problem.

If you can get access to a Nissan shop manual then you maybe able to start diagnosising the problem. The troubleshooting section is about 50 pages and frequently doubles back on itself.

It really is to complex to try to discribe within the forum. I have many pages already scanned in helping another person, but I do not think I have the section you need scanned. I do not know what to suggest, because the office scanner is broke and I already asked the bosses secretary to do it for Diesel Boy, I really do not have any favors left to ask for.

See if a local Nissan dealership will copy the pages for you. One of the local dealers here has done it from time to time for me. -thnkboutit-

Hey guys... just joined in and was wondering if anyone can lend some assistance. I bought a used '92 Pathy and have been experiencing tranny prob. since. I took it to the shop and it turns out the clutches were burnt. All that was changed as well as the seals and spragg bearings. The mech. put it back up and since then, whenever the gears are changing, the entire vehicle vibrates... and the repairs lasted one day... the gears were stripped and now it's down again. My initial prob. was the first gear was not selecting,hence the burnt clutches. We haven't found any electrical prob. though. so I was wondering what would cause the vibration. everything is where it's s'posed to be.

Any advice would be appreciated... thanks... Ice...

Sounds like a trany shudder. I've heard that clutch materials in your oil can cause this. If your tranny was completely taken apart you shouldn't have to flush it, but if not you could try a trany flush. There might have been some clutch materials left in the little oil that was left in the trany.

A bad torque could also do this. Bring it to a trany shop, they should be able to road test it and give you more answers.

Thanks man... although the mechanic says he's not seeing anything wrong... the tranny was completely taken apart and fluid was changed... is there any way the torque may have gone up out of alignment ?

Guest scoobadave71

jerdude I feel your pain. My 94 Pathy has been doing this since August 03. I have had a complete transmission flush, filter etc done to no avail. So wanted to say dont waste your time there. One thing I do currently, if you have the AT switch, check it when you first turn on your Pathy - if it blinks a bunch of times, let it go thru that and then turn off and restart, should only blink on once then and should be ok.

Also when you are accelerating, as you can tell its getting to switch gears, back off the pedal for a sec or 2 and then accelerate again.

I know these aren't the best of solutions, but these are things I have been doing for 8 months now and they have worked albeit I still have to occassionally do the shift into neutral and restart. I am eventually going to get this to the dealership and see what it is and cost to fix.

Let me know if you find out anything as well...

Thanks

Guest d_eves

Hey all,

Scoob/jer....my 90SE does the same thing. I watch the AT botton and it does sometimes blink a bunch of times (16 to be exact...lol). I didn't know it is only supposed to blink only once. I will watch for that from now on. When driving tho, I never have to turn it off. I just put it in park, then go again. If ANYBODY figures this one out, please post or e-mail me. I would greatly appreciate it.

Derrick

• 1 month later...

YES I have the same problem... The blinking and non shifting. I also noticed a kind of shorting over the whole truck ie: radio choppy, pushing brake weakens bat, ect. so I concluded a short somewhere? Duno but i just bought a 94 pathy 4 days ago and am here to find out what this short or problem is. Im actually happy u guys are having the same problem maybe we will find the answer?

IF ANYONE KNOWS HOW TO FIX THIS POST OR EMAIL ME!!!! PLEASE! -TY in advance

I'd check your charging system for one, if the lights are dimming. Have an alternator test run and a battery test. Seriously. The alternator could be putting out excess voltage and that might fry your $1000 ECU.

The owner's manual for my '88 says:

When the ignition is turned ON with the Power Shift switch in "Auto", the indicator light comes on for two seconds. If the light blinks for approximately 8 seconds, it may indicate that something is wrong with the transmission. Have your Nissan dealer check and repair the transmission.

Pretty much a gimmie on that one, people. Something's wrong with it.

You can run tests yourself on the transmission computer, essentially testing the shift solenoids with a voltmeter. Here's a picture of the test procedure.

trannytest.jpg

To reset the transmission computer, I believe you have to physically unbolt it from the vehicle so it's not grounded anymore, unplug the wiring harness and wait a couple minutes, then bolt it back in. The transmission computer is located in the rear of the vehicle on the passenger's side(US model left hand drive version), inside the plastic wall panel in the back cargo area of the Pathfinder. It's a gold colored shiny box about 5x6" with brackets on the sides.

Jerdude, I have experienced this problem before on one of my old rigs. Reseting the Computer only solved the problem temporarly. What ended up fixing the problem was I replaced the Torque Converter Solenoid, and wallah, problem solved; and not once did I take her to the tranny shop. Noy saying this is your problem, just saying, keep it in mind, before you replace the whole thing.

It was the reason I decided never to by an automatic again, I kept letting the problem go, and reseting the Computer. Until one day on a trip to Philadelphia, it decided to leave me stranded, untill it decided it wanted to shift properly again.

Good luck,

Mike BLK

You can run a self diagnosis on the trans computer using the a secret combination of operations with the gear lever and O/D switch.

If you want it i will post it for you some how.

Its pretty use full, the only thing is, is that your light on the power switch has to be working as that flashes codes that let you know whats wrong in there.

Let me know if you want it!!

I may be able to email it to 88 and he could put it on that list of important stuff at the top of the page, and host the document on his sight or somthing.

Its 12 scanned pages of self diagnosis stuff.

I got it from Igranch.

Pete.

Check the Auto transmission oil cooler

mine went bad and it overheated like 3 times in 30 minutes

get yours done before your tranny goes goodby!!!!!!!!!!!

normal signs of it is it will cling to gears and on the highway is where it gets really bad!!

it will start to hunt for gears your top speed will decline and finnaly your transmission oil temp light will come on , thats where you STOP!!

Guest ross

I found with the auto trans fluid here in Australia was not up to standard. The Nissan Matic or a Synthetic I found to be very good. In heavy conditions (beach sand) the standard fliud was burnt, the synthetic lasted the full 50,000 kms with no problems.

• 11 months later...
Guest scoobadave71

Ok, I have fought this problem long enough - I am about to take my pathy to the dealership but wanted to make sure they are not going to try and stick me with a new tranny. I am totally convinced its all electrical, so wanted to ask if anyone ever found a true fix for this problem? If so how much did it cost?

Thanks,

thats a really hard question to answer, the problem is, that there are so many variables that you;d have to check yourself. like the sensors and stuff. Once you use the process of elimination on the easy Do it yourself kind of things, you'd have to take it into a shop, look around for a shop that deals with imports mostly, and see if they are familiar with your tranny and its unique problems. get them to look for service bullitens from Nissan. Worst case scenario is that you have to pay the nissans dealership up to 4000 dollars to install a new or refurbished transmission, and hope it lasts.

An alternative would be to get a qualified tranny shop, to do a 5 speed swap. it might cost more, or less im not sure, but you'd never have to deal with the ATX quirkyness again.

You could also sell the vehicle and hope the people looking to buy don't notice the hard shifting and whatnot. But, I'd hate you for it.

• 1 year later...
You can run a self diagnosis on the trans computer using the a secret combination of operations with the gear lever and O/D switch.

If you want it i will post it for you some how.

Its pretty use full, the only thing is, is that your light on the power switch has to be working as that flashes codes that let you know whats wrong in there.

Let me know if you want it!!

I may be able to email it to 88 and he could put it on that list of important stuff at the top of the page, and host the document on his sight or somthing.

Its 12 scanned pages of self diagnosis stuff.

I got it from Igranch.

Pete.

Diesel Boy I would greatly appreciate it if you could email me the diagnosis manual.

gabo_calderon@yahoo.ca

Thanks,