How long is the 95 2wd rear driveshaft?

rxf610

I am in a bind. I bought a used transmission and got a 2wd rather than a 4wd tranny. I cannot get a hold of the guy that sold it, so I am losing money as we speak with it sitting at a shop. I was wondering if I could just pull the transfer case, take off the front axle and just mount a longer driveshaft to the 2wd housing? I don't really care about 4wd, so would this be a viable option?

Edited by rxf610

Why not just put the good guts out of the 2wd case in the case of your 4wd tranny?

How simple is that? The only issue is that the output shaft on the 2wd is about 4 inches too long. I don't know if you can take out the output shaft of the bad 4wd tranny and swap it into the good 2wd tranny. If I could everything would be great. How can that output shaft be taken out? The guys that have my truck don't do tranny internals only swaps. Should I just take it out of the shop and try and do it myself?

Eliott

Well, it would be simple for a tranny mechanic, but if they don't touch internals then they can't do it. You can do it, but it isn't that simple for a novice. If you had the FSM or specific tranny manual for it then it would be a lot easier -study- . The output shaft is attached to a bunch of stuff inside, so you need to pretty much do a complete tare down to swap it.

Well, it would be simple for a tranny mechanic, but if they don't touch internals then they can't do it. You can do it, but it isn't that simple for a novice. If you had the FSM or specific tranny manual for it then it would be a lot easier -study- . The output shaft is attached to a bunch of stuff inside, so you need to pretty much do a complete tare down to swap it.

I have the service manual for the car and a service manual for the tranny. I have the actual nissan service manual. Should I take them home and try and rebuild them both, while swapping the output shaft? The car is about 2 miles from my house, but I don't have any way of towing it home, but I guess I could bring the trannies home.

Eliott