Fair Price for Timing Belt & Water Pump

sanford7575

My '91 Pathfinder w/ 109,000 Miles is due for a Timing Belt at 120,000 Miles.

I'm getting kind of itchy about it because I bought my pathy at 93,000 miles and don't really know when it was last changed. I am assuming that the previous owner had it changed at 60,000 miles. I also don't feel like doing the work.

I guess I'm asking what's a fair price to pay to have the Timing Belt and Tensioner changed and the water pump replaced? I got a quote from my local Nissan Dealer for $650.00

Is there anything else that should be done then too?

You could get them to change the cam seals, the crank seal and the thermostat while they're in there.

I'm not sure what the going rate is, but thats a whack load of cash for a job that isn't too difficult if you have the tools, and an afternoon to kill. ;)

My neighbor is a Mechanic at the Yota dealer. He has a shop in his b/yard he moonlights in. He did my water pump and timing belt for $420 or $440. I can't remember exactly. So if you factor in real estate and insurance the dealer is not ripping you too bad.

I paid about $440 at an independant Nissan-only shop which I trust. Its not a hard job, if you have the tools and puller etc, but it does take some time to get in there and put it all back together. I'd shop around for quotes from import shops in your area, since its a very common job, they'll be able to tell you give you a price right over the phone.

i know the prices and part numbers you will need.. but i have always done the work myself so i don't know what's a fair price for the actual job.... but under $500 soudns good from what i can tell. :aok: