Re-wiring stock lights

DTE

So here's what i was thinking today as i was looking at the front of my pathy...

would it be possible to switch some of the wiring around between the fog lights, turn signals and night running lights?

what i want to do is take the signal light wires and splice them into the front corner lights so now they would be the signal lights....then i would take the corner lights and wire them to the fog lights so whenever the lights were turned on the fog lights would be on all the time, basically bypassing the fog light switch on the steering column....the last thing would be to remove the signal lights completely and replace them with new driving lights and take the wiring from the OEM fog lights and wire them to the driving lights making it possible to control them with the switch on the steering column that was originally for the OEM fog lights....

has anyone done this or thought about this, basically, would it work? it makes sense in my head.....

no, change the corner light to act as turn signals only, and then use the wiring from the corner lights to the fog lights so they are on all the time and the wiring from the fog lights to a new set of offroad lights...

eh, thats alot of re-aranging to do on an already stressed stock wiring system

plus, the corner lights probably dont have relays for it (neither do the headlights) so i wouldent go that route trying to use that wire for fogs.

my suggestion to you is just to wire everything up right and add relays for your second pair of fog/driving (whatever) lights. you can rewire your existing fogs to come on and stay on on both hi beam and low beam by using your running lights as a TRIGGER for the relay..but not as a power source. then you could clip your turn signals and connect them for the corner lights. then you could wire in your other set of lights..using your other corner light (previously) as a trigger for that relay as well.

hah sounds confusing so..

youd have one relay that controls your OEM fogs. just disconnect the stock trigger wire which is neatly crimped onto the stock headlight harness (on the passenger side for me) right up there by the bulb (neat huh?). get rid of all that crap as it only allows power at low beam. you already wanna clip your corner running light. take that back and crimp on a female spade..plug that in. then your fogs will work in the "parking light" setting, low beam, and high beam. your fogs will then still be controled by the factory switch.

for your driving lights. same thing, except this time you have to wire up your own relay completley. again, use the other corner light wire that you clipped as your trigger, wire in a switch..or you can have them come on every time you switch on your "parking lights", hi's, or lows. if you want to be able to turn these off, just run a section of the trigger wire into the cab and run it through a switch then back out to the relay.

Edited by DSM_guy

Wiring the fogs off the parking lights (as a trigger to the relay) is simple enough. Search, I did a write long ago and we touched on that stuff in a thread by PathfinderJay.

Help me out here guys, there is a wiring website a lot of guys like 88 link to, and I can't remember the name. Anyways, I think its there that references easily how to wire the markers to the turn signals, although I'm sure you can figure it out.

Relays and heavy gauge (re)wiring is your friend.

I'm working on a master switch to completely deactivate all rear lighting at the flick of it. License plate light, tail lights, OFF. That way I can pull off the road onto a trail and pretty much dissapear from sight even while braking. Stealth mode.

I'm working on a master switch to completely deactivate all rear lighting at the flick of it. License plate light, tail lights, OFF. That way I can pull off the road onto a trail and pretty much dissapear from sight even while braking. Stealth mode.

Do you find yourself running from people or the police often??? :huh: