Lockers

The Drift

So here is what I gather. If I install these, I will not be able to shift int 4H on the fly. I will get out, luck the hub, shift into 4H and be on my way. Am I correct? The benefit is less wear on my CV joints, and possibly increased efficiency. This is something I will probably need once I lift it anyways, so should I just go ahead and get them now?

Found a set of Warn lockers for 131.00 on ebay. Good price? Should I just get um?

u mean hubs, i dont think warn makes lockers, lockers are things that go into ur diffs and send equal power to the wheels no matter they are doing and u aint going to find them for that much

so, if u have manual hubs u can get out and lock them in and then drive in 2wd and shift on the fly, ur hubs must be locked to shift on the fly, auto or manual

i think you mean locking hubs. lockers are a different animal.

and yes, on the manual ones you'll have to stop and turn them to lock them. personally i like the free running hubs. never have had any problems with them.

u mean hubs, i dont think warn makes lockers, lockers are things that go into ur diffs and send equal power to the wheels no matter they are doing and u aint going to find them for that much

so, if u have manual hubs u can get out and lock them in and then drive in 2wd and shift on the fly, ur hubs must be locked to shift on the fly, auto or manual

Ooops. Yes, manual locking hubs, that is what I meant.

So if they are locked you can shift on the fly? For regular driving though, you would just keep them unlocked, and that's the whole point of getting them correct?

Hey Drift, welcome bud. I see you are jumping right in with the mods. Cheers. I am looking to switching to the warn hubs too. I saw them online today at $125 with free shipping. Not sure if its a reputable vendor, but its the cheapest price I've found yet....... and no bidding. If someone else knows where to get them cheaper please chime in, I'll be buying these this month as well.

I think Pezzy's bumper/tire mount post mentioned a new set of warns ....... how much did you pay Pezzy?

Hey Drift, welcome bud. I see you are jumping right in with the mods. Cheers. I am looking to switching to the warn hubs too. I saw them online today at $125 with free shipping. Not sure if its a reputable vendor, but its the cheapest price I've found yet....... and no bidding. If someone else knows where to get them cheaper please chime in, I'll be buying these this month as well.

I think Pezzy's bumper/tire mount post mentioned a new set of warns ....... how much did you pay Pezzy?

Nice find. Glad I didn't bid on those other ones. Definately jumping right in. I don't think I've ever kept a car stock for more than 2 months.

As far as shift on the fly....... you can still have it if you want it. Just leave the hubs locked. Same as stock. But if you have no forseeable need for 4x4 for daily driving and what not, unlockem and save the wear and tear. There is a small ongoing argument about this. It really depends on your needs. If I need 4x4, I usually know ahead of time so i can lock em before I turn the key, from engine start in the garage to offroad you would be shift on the fly. If you are like some of the young impetuous types here who want impulse response, you may get annoyed when you see a mud hole on a rainy day and decide to harvest it..... then realize you have to spend 10 seconds in the rain to lock the hubs first.

IMO a little rain never hurt anybody, and I pay too much every month for this vehicle to not do a simple mod to prolong mechanical reliability. Also, I would like to lift it this year and it then makes even more practical sense.

I say go for it, and tell me if you find a lower price.

As far as shift on the fly....... you can still have it if you want it. Just leave the hubs locked. Same as stock. But if you have no forseeable need for 4x4 for daily driving and what not, unlockem and save the wear and tear. There is a small ongoing argument about this. It really depends on your needs. If I need 4x4, I usually know ahead of time so i can lock em before I turn the key, from engine start in the garage to offroad you would be shift on the fly. If you are like some of the young impetuous types here who want impulse response, you may get annoyed when you see a mud hole on a rainy day and decide to harvest it..... then realize you have to spend 10 seconds in the rain to lock the hubs first.

IMO a little rain never hurt anybody, and I pay too much every month for this vehicle to not do a simple mod to prolong mechanical reliability. Also, I would like to lift it this year and it then makes even more practical sense.

I say go for it, and tell me if you find a lower price.

LOL, I have to agree. I could give two @!*%s if I'm shifting on the fly or not. Like you said, I'm never really surprised by conditions requiring 4H. I'll look around, post the best prices I find here.

As far as shift on the fly....... you can still have it if you want it. Just leave the hubs locked. Same as stock. But if you have no forseeable need for 4x4 for daily driving and what not, unlockem and save the wear and tear. There is a small ongoing argument about this.

well, if you don't unlock them then you're driving with the cvs turning all the time at fast speeds. i am pretty sure they weren't desinged for that kind of whip otherwise they'd be all wheel drive.

From what I understand, manual hubs are desirable as they are stronger than autolocking (which some have reported engaging with a bang under load). Stronger implies you are a serious wheeler/bigger tires/engage under load. My previous Nissan truck had autolocks that gave me no trouble for 10 years, but then I wasn't racing it or using 4x4 when unnecessary.

With manual lock hubs, yes, you can leave them engaged, but this is only recommended for on the trail, not driving down the freeway. Stronger or free and convenient, it's up to you. :shrug:

B

only recommended for on the trail, not driving down the freeway

if you don't unlock them then you're driving with the cvs turning all the time at fast speeds. i am pretty sure they weren't desinged for that kind of whip

Not designed for that? You realize that Drift and I have R50s right? How is driving at speed stock with CVs spinning different from driving at speed with Warn hubs locked and CVs spinning? Am I missing something?