Is this a good deal?

Guest 93PathFinder

Guest 93PathFinder

93 finder 5 speed 4wd gold 177k needs a head gasket $500? Still runs and drives. No major body damage. Even the ac works. How hard is it to put a new motor in one of these? Do you guys think the rest of the drive train might last a little longer?

How much mechanical experience do you have? I'm working on putting a new motor in mine and I had never seen it done before I started. I'm now on 2 weeks and 3 days, mostly working at night after work. I'm probably looking at another week before I'm running. A more saavy person would be done sooner. It is hard yes, but not impossible. For the price I would grab it if you think you can tackle a big project. I found a used motor with less than 60K miles for $800 shipped. Drivetrain? Some people are driving with 250K+ on an original tranny, and some had to replace way sooner. I don't know.

Guest 93PathFinder

So do you think it would be smarter to just put a head gasket on it? What worries me is that the motor has 177k on it. I can get a motor with under 50k for $800. Does anyone know the parts involved in replacing the head gasket? Head gaskets, Head Bolts, ..... Does anything else need to be done while you have the heads off? Like rebuiding the heads, .....

I just did the heads in mine. If you had all the parts ready to put in, you could do the whole job in under a day. It's stupidly easy.

Album: http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=8602&hl=

PM me if you run into issues on this, but its worth doing $500 is dirty cheap with just a blown gasket.

Edited by lowrider

Guest 93PathFinder

Lawrenceville, GA. I have tons of tools. IE aircompressor, air tools, ect. If you say its that easy I might just do a head gasket. Its damn $460 for rebuilt heads. Damn thats alot of money. $800 for a motor with 50k. Hmmm.

thats a good deal, you can do the heads in a day, for a good price on a rebuild kit, mostly gaskets, and valve seals. In georgia there shouldn't be much rust, as they dont get teh bad weather. up the northwest ours do very well. my 87 doesnt ' have any.

check on things like clutch noise and rear end chatter, you never know how it was driven. have to run these things pretty hard to blow a head gasket.

my $.02

if i were you, find yourself some junkyard heads off a VG30. They don't have to be from a pathfinder/hb either. Quest vans, maximas, 300zx, mercury villager, etc. I somehow doubt the headgasket went personally, i've never heard of a non turbo vg30 doing that, my guess, the motor overheated warping a head, which has the exact same symptoms as a blown head gasket.

Pop the heads off and take them to an engine rebuilder and have them checked to see if they're warped. It'll save you alot of time hassle and cost than just throwing new head gaskets on and putting a possibly warped head back on just to do it again.

my .02.

if a blown head gasket is all that's wrong with it BUY IT!!!! easy enuff job to do and do NOT worry about having 177,000 on it. that is just getting broke in on these motors.

my head gasket went at 136,000 on my original motor, bought a motor with 170,000 and it is in better shape than mine.

just change the ehad gasket and enjoy!! -bounce- :beer: