Reverse light switch.

Lucky92

So the reverse light switch is out on the BEERFINDER. Got a new one for less than 20 bones. Disconnected the old one, plugged the new one in and had the wife stand behind it to see if it worked with I hit the button with my thumb (It's not in the tranny yet, just plugged into the wiring harness). Reminder: manual tranny.

I CAN'T GET A FREAKIN' WRENCH IN THAT TINY SPACE TO SAVE MY LIFE!!!!! Is there anything I can do besides dropping the tranny or taking it to a garage at 30 bones an hour for labor? I hate payin' those guys! Anyone else dealt with this? Any advise to save some bucks?

Thanks,

Dan

Did you ground the switch to anything? IIRC it grounds through the tranny case. With it unplugged, it probably won't do anything, like you described.

On the fitment note, I think you'll have to unbolt the crossmember and lower the tranny to get to the switch if you can't get in there otherwise. Is it accessible from the top anywhere if you remove a shifter boot and go through the floor? Sorry, I haven't got a diagram in front of me for where the switch is located.

never thought about coming in from the top. Will have to look into that tomorrow. Old switch was trash. When I put the new one in it worked just fine "testing" it with the thumb. (Imagine this: Disconnect old switch from harness and connect new. Lay under the truck and have the wife start the Pathy. She then gets out and stands at the rear while I use my thumb to press the button in the new switch, under the Pathy). Will see if the boot is an option. Will removing the crossmember/lowering tranny be a bitch or is it pretty simple?

it's a traightforward job to lower the tranny, just don't go too far and support the tranny with a tranny jack or a regular jack with a block of wood on it. ;)

Yeah. It's looking like that is what I will have to do. Local wrench twisters are charging 75 to 100 bones an hour to put in a $12 part. And access under the shifter boot ain't happenin either.

Local wrench twisters are charging 75 to 100 bones an hour to put in a $12 part.

So is life.....

We have similar markups and prices in my line of work...

For example, if it's a $4 part and takes 5 minutes to put in, we charge the customer $40 for the part and $70 for an hour of labor.

It's the only way to make money.

For example, if it's a $4 part and takes 5 minutes to put in, we charge the customer $40 for the part and $70 for an hour of labor.

It's the only way to make money.

Believe me I know. My bro is a wrench-twister down in Austin. I don't mind payin for a tranny over-haul or something like that but a $12 switch just gets my goat.