I love my Pathfinder even though it suck's

Guest Darwin

Guest Darwin

I have a 98 Pathfinder se with 87,000 miles on it. The other day I drove it to work and it ran great, 12 hours later when I was done at work I started it up and it had a really loud knocking noise. I thought it was either the valves or the water pump, nope there was a blockage somewhere in the bottom of the engine. I don't know much about car's but I thought pathfinders were better vehichles than that. I had the oil changed every 3000 and I really took good care of it. My mechanic is now telling me that I need to replace the engine, I can not believe it. He found an engine from a wrecked 98 Pathfinder with 80,000 miles on it for $850.00 I don't know if this is the right thing to do or not but I can't afford a new engine for $5000. If anyone has any good advice on this matter I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,Darwin

I'm not sure what it could be (not too engine savvy yet :rolleyes: ), but I'm sure engine replacement isn't the only way to go. However, for the cost of repairing your current engine, it may be easier to get the engine replacement. You should go around to a few mechanics and get quotes on repair vs. replacement, see which one sounds easier on the wallet ;)

Did you buy it used? Does anyone else drive it?

Has it been confirmed that it is a bottom end knock, or is this the opinion of one mechanic? Get a second opinion?

I've never heard of this happening, but I've seen a VQ35 blown to bits by feeding it a 125 HP shot of nitrous.

Oh, and the nitrous was being fed to the engine through a pair of turbochargers...

I agree....Get a second and Third opinion! If you decide to get a used engine, try to get one that came out of a used car from Japan. I heard that Japan and other Asian country's require everone to change out their engines around 40,000 miles if the emissions from the engine are too high. (What I heard)

I know of a few dealers here in San Diego that deal in those engines

Guest Darwin

I found an engine with 18,000 miles on it for 1100 dollars and I think I am going to go with that. It sounds better than the origanal one I was going to go with that had 80k for 850 dollars, so thank you everyone for your valuble advice I really appreciate it.

By the way, the same engine in your Pathfinder also comes in the Frontier and the Xterra, so it has nothing to do with it being a Pathfinder. Just an engine problem that happened to occur while you owned it. *shrug* I take it you didn't get a second opinion, then? You're just going to throw large amounts of money at it and hope it was the right thing to do?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Darwin

I just got my Pathfinder back after the engine swap and she runs like a champ. Now I remember why I love my Pathfinder. Sorry if I offended any of you guys.

• 4 weeks later...

If the guy doesn't have any plans for the engine and you have a place to store it get the old one back. Now that the deal is done he is in the same spot as the guy you got your engine from. You can get an engine stand for about fifty bucks. If you plan on keeping the Pathy as long as lot of the rest of us it might come in handy to have a spare. While the Pathy is a very durable vehicle with a great engine bad things do happen. If it only blew out the bottom half and there is no head damage.....you can see where I'm going. The other option is that you can build up one hell of a motor over time