My New Skid Plates

Trainman

I've been wanting skids for quite awhile. I never could afford to actually buy any.(Not because Runnermans prices are high, it's from being broke all the time. ;) ) So I decided to make my own skids.

The front skid was pretty easy to make because it's so small and light. I made it out of 3/16" and 1/8" on the mounting points. The skid plate for the front diff, oil pan, exhaust, tranny pan, and transfer case turned out to be a beast. It covers everything from front to back. Made out of 5/16" this thing is heavy. 77lbs to be exact. :o I still need to make a skid for the rear diff and I'm going to weld some 10gauge stuff to the muffler to keep it from getting too much damage.

I just finished drilling the holes to mount it and now I just need to finish welding a backbone on this thing.(It flexes under pressure a little more than I'd like it too.) Then paint it.

For the bolt protection I just welded some cut peices of pipe to the skid and used a grinder to get rid of the excess metal so it turned out flush with the top of the bolt heads. P...

Here's some pics.

MVC-003F.jpg

MVC-005F.jpg

MVC-006F.jpg

MVC-020F.jpg

MVC-010F.jpg

MVC-019F.jpg

This is a pic of the front skid before I welded on the bolt protection.

DSCF0088.jpg

Edited by TrailChaser