manifold studs putting them in

dfather99

So to make a long story short i had a manifold leak. I went to tighten the bolt with my hand and the stud came with it. I was able to get All 6 manifold bolts, studs, 3 pipe bolts and gaskets for the righthand side with free next day shipping from a dealership for under $40. I love working for a large rental car company. Anyways I am goin to attempt doin them myself. I am banking that all the studs will break so i've searched the site and know to soak the bolts in wd-40 overnight and tap the studs with a hammer. So far all i have is PARTS, TIME, TOOLS, AND AMBITION. :shrug:

:help: My question is what little nick nacks or tricks or advice do you all have for me? be it tools, products, techniques, anything you can think of even if it is minor that will make this as much as a breeze as changing oil (or changing oil in any car that is not a pathy!!) :bow:

thanks -alcohol-

Edited by dfather99

for starters.. don't bother using WD40.. it will do NOTHING to help you. PB Blaster is the shizznitz. apply liberally and let soak for 1 or 2 days.

there was a write up about removing studs somewhere (use search) but i know precise1 aka B.. had a handy tool he found best to remove broken studs.

i removed 6 broken studs last year and it was hairy. i have to do it again (luckily 2 broken this time) on my new heads.. umph.. is a womans work never done? :huh:

here ya go: http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=5361

Edited by Slick

well it wasn't that bad but i only got half the studs out. I figure if it aint broken don't break it. I could get the one stude out B/C THERE IS NO DANM ROOM!!!! However I put the new gaskets on and the sound went away for now. I was thiking about double gasketing it but decided against it. thanks for all the help. next it's the alternator

I'm glad you got it dealt with, and I hope you won't be revisiting those studs you didn't take out. They may break from re-torqueing, or maybe it's just specific studs that get all the stress and you replaced those. Yes, room is an issue, but did you try going in fron the wheel well ? Alternator is a piece of cake. Keep up the good work.

B