Fuel and Temp guages do not work

KIRBY

Hey, I just bought my 1992 Pathfinder and i love it, it's spottless except for one problem. My fuel and temp guages do not work although in the two weeks i have owned it they have come back twice but after i shut the engin off and start it back up they are gone again. i have read that there is a sylenoid on the back of the panel but i can't find it. any suggestions?

i don't know about a solenoid but there is a voltage regulator. but if the operation of the guages come and goe it sounds more like a loose connection. maybe the connection on the voltage regulator... i'd pull the guages and take a look. the voltage regulator is a small silver box kinda thing .. there is a post on that around here somewhere

Do a search for the voltage regulator. Mr. Jim or some one did an excellent how-to on replacing this part. I did mine last year it's about a $30 part from the stealership and about a 30 minute job. An additional tip for whom ever did the write up is to use a putty knife or similar to pry the top of gauge cluster out from the dash board. GENTLY. Once out and disconnected, now is also a good time to, again gently, pry the gauge cluster's clear cover off and and get all the dust and crud out from behind it.

JMTC

M

Guest SLOPOKE

You can buy the same part from any radio shack. I had to do that for my g/f's rabbit. VW wanted around $30, I picked up the part for $1.50. Works great, and havn't had a problem!

hey thanks guys, i'm gonna try that tomorrow, by the way, does anyone know what the E-AT switch does?

I found this description on the internet...it's spot-on:

#475 of 481 Re: "E-AT" toggle switch..... [maxpower!] by shangai Oct 31, 2005 (6:11 pm)

Reply | E-mail Msg

Replying to: maxpower! (Oct 13, 2005 1:51 pm)

Answer: In short, it is the Power/Economy switch for the automatic transmission. For the slightly longer version this power/economy switch is similar to the sport/economy switch that can be found on other cars. The normal or default mode is the economy mode. Pressing the switch will activate the power mode, which changes the shift points by causing the transmission to shift later for an up-shift and sooner for a down shift, thus allowing the engine to rev a bit higher than it would normally in the economy mode. This power mode is useful when towing and when climbing a steep grade. Using the power mode under these conditions is most helpful in preventing the transmission from hunting or using a gear that is too high for the situation.