spare carrier

Guest masamar

Guest masamar

does anyone know of a way to find a cheap exterior spare tire carrier? I had the interior one but I ripped it out because it took up a lot of space and rattled like no other after a while. I called about every scrap yard in my area and none of them said that they could help me with that kind of part. any suggestions are appreciated.

Either put one on on your roof in those baskets, or mount one like from factory. But that will take a quite abit of fabrication....another suggestion make one off your trailer hitch if you have like the reciever kind....

a word of warning

pathys with spare tyre carriers have bracing in the body to deal with the weight of a tyre. if you are gona put one on you need all the bracing. and from looking at my pathy theres no way to get it in there without cutting major body work

I got one from the local junkyard for $50. Plus all the top side internal brackets needed. The lower end I'm really not sure about, cause on the Pathy in the junkyard, the lower bracket was spotwelded in and completely encased in the body sheetmetal...but I know someone else with a '89 that put a carrier on, so I know it's possible. I just don't know if the lower hinge internal bracket comes with every Pathfinder, or whether they only have one if they had a carrier in the first place. I think what I'll end up doing is mounting the internal brackets, then use a punch to lightly mark exactly where the bolt holes need to go from the inside...and go from there.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest grpape

Yup, there is a kit that you can order from AC. It seems pretty well built with everything you may need to install it. I'll post back next week after I install it. It was $55 or so before shipping.

Derrick