oil leak?

rokris8079

Went to drain and fill the tranny this weekend and noticed oil on my skid plate. At first I thought no big deal. Thought it was left over oil from the last oil change. It does get a little oilly around there due to the wonderful placement of the filter on the 3.3. Then I remembered I was a little low on oil when I checked it the previous day. Say maybe a half to a quart low. I run semi-synthetic 10w 30 and change the oil myself every 4-5k. When I took the skid plate off the filter was covered in oil? Genuine Nissan filter by the way. I thought maybe there was filter gasket left on the block and the filter didn't seat right. When changing the oil I made sure to properly lube the new filter and to clean off the mating surfaces. I ran the truck for about 10 minutes and didn't notice any oil leaking so I put the skid plate back on. Next day I see more oil on the skid plate. I looked through the little hole on the plate to see if the filter was covered in oil but it wasn't. So my question is what else can be leaking around that area? My oil pressure switch (I think that's what I saw?) was also covered in oil. Any info is appreciated. For all I know though it's still just left over oil from removing the filter again. But I wiped down area pretty good. There is tons of little pockets for the oil to get trapped in. I am just trying to be prepared.

BTW recent work to the truck includes timing belt, cam seals, new crank pully and water pump. All nissan parts done at a local shop.

The old wisened mechanics method:

Clean up everything really well with a couple cans of electrical cleaner. Sure it costs a few bucks per can, but it works extremely well to cut anything and is not as harsh on plastic or rubber parts as carb or brake cleaner would be.

Get a can of aerosol foot powder. That's right, aerosol foot powder. Talc in a paint bomb.

Spray liberally over the side of the engine where you think the leak could be originating. Looks like a pretty christmas scene now, doesn't it?

Start it up and watch. The second even a micro drop of oil oozes out from its source, your nice christmas scene will have a grotesque and impossible to miss splotch of black goo!

That's the source. Now let it cool down, hose off the talc with water and fix away!

Clean up everything really well with a couple cans of electrical cleaner. Sure it costs a few bucks per can, but it works extremely well to cut anything and is not as harsh on plastic or rubber parts as carb or brake cleaner would be.

Does that apply to engine degreaser too?

Thanks for the advise. I haven't had time to really look into it yet. We leave for work early and by the time my wife gets back home with the truck it's dark. I do check the oil every morning and it is still full.

I got to thinking? Through my searching it appears that cam seals could be a culprit. Since I just had the cam seals done, would the changing of the seals cause oil all over that area? I am thinking that oil in that area that I originally seen was from the work done to my vehicle. Then I cleaned the area as best I could and hosed the whole thing down. Now the new wetness I found is probably just leftover oil and water gradually making it's way downward. I am still going to tear it apart to be sure but this seems like a likely situation. Again thanks for everyones help and I will report back if I have any problems.

Edited by rokris8079

I have a leak that is coming right out of the belt cover also and it is very steady!!! I am gearing up for the TB change now!! at 96K since my alty can only put up with so much oil running over it...this would make sense because there is a TSB on the passenger side seal....not that you shop did't replace it but maybe they had a hard time with it??