Exhaust Leak

navygz19

My '02 3.5 has the traditional exhaust system leak, right from underneath the front seats. Not too sure if it's one or both sides of it but it's WAY obvious when the engine's cold, or I'm next to a wall with the window open :angry: I know it's been brought up before. My questions is...there IS a TSB out on this and I'm pretty sure I can buy the repair kit for it, but I'm doubting I can get it covered under warranty, even though theres the bulletin. The repair kit's no more than some real strong looking tape type stuff ( http://www.nissanhelp.com ) But I really want it to just be replaced. I DID just buy the truck a month ago, with an extended warranty ($50 ded.) but I don't think the exhaust system is covered, unless it's emissions-related. And the leak I don't think has anything to do w/ the Cat. I should just remove both of them and throw on some SS turn-downs, or side-exit's :D J/K.

Any thoughts/suggestions? Please discuss...

Cheers,

Navy :beer:

Edited by navygz19

Thats bull man what cheap welding. Some people will do it for free if you ask while youre getting an oil change its so easy. Take it back or do it next time youre in the shop.

Thats bull man what cheap welding.

No kidding...It's a generic issue w/ these things. 2 of my other friends had their exhausts do the same thing with their Pathy's. I'm just going to bring it in and tell them to do what they need to do.

Is it leaking from the manifolds, or from the piping?

If it's the manifolds, I believe Nissan extended the warranty on them to 100,000 miles - though that could be only for the VG33 manifolds.

If it's leaking from the flange or the piping, you're on your own.

Is it leaking from the manifolds, or from the piping?

If it's the manifolds, I believe Nissan extended the warranty on them to 100,000 miles - though that could be only for the VG33 manifolds.

If it's leaking from the flange or the piping, you're on your own.

It's not from the manifolds (thank God) it's from what LOOKS like the catalytic converters right underneath the front seats, though, I can only see it leaking on the drivers side.

CanadianPathyNut I'll probably end up doing just that...taking it to them, or in this case, where I just bought it from and let them deal with it. $25? Did they use the repair kit that Nissan put out in the TSB?

if the repair kit is 2 metal strips that go down each side and some white goo that dries rick hard and 2 clamps that hold it all together then Yes, they used the kit. the day after they did it I raised the truck up on a lift and it looked as if they used a kit, thats when i figured this is a cmoon problem and it should have been a free fix

if the repair kit is 2 metal strips that go down each side and some white goo that dries rick hard and 2 clamps that hold it all together then Yes, they used the kit. the day after they did it I raised the truck up on a lift and it looked as if they used a kit, thats when i figured this is a cmoon problem and it should have been a free fix

Yep. what you described is the "Nissan Repair Kit..." blahbity blahbity blah. Guess I too will be taking that route. And yes, it is a common issue w/ these things.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 97LEnewbie

not to chage subject but is there a company that makes aftermarket exhaust systems like gibson or flowmaster or something.... i mean true cat back not just mufflers?

Your best bet is to have one custom made...get a pair of high-flow exhausts and have a shop mandrel bend some tobing...voila!

Anyhow, UPDATE. To other R50 owner's...I just got a call back from Carmax, where my Pathy is sitting getting the exhaust leak looked at. Well, turns out there's a hole in the Catalytic Converter :confused: Never heard of other Pathy's having this issue before. My question is, what's the Emissions Warranty Nissan has? Is it 8-year 80K? Unlimited? I only ask because I want to know WHO is going to be warranting this repair...Carmax or Nissan. As it stands now, they are sending the trunk nextdoor to an actual Nissan shop for parts/repairs there. Now I just need to demand a loaner. Any help on the emissions warranty would be appreciated!

Ok Nissan covered it 100% (which they should have anyways) and now I'm out a Pathy. I'm going to pick up my loaner on monday (last time it was an '04 X SE) and hopefull I won't be w/o it for too long. So sad...I wanted to hit some trails this weekend, necause I didn't have to work :(