Mounting hardware info for OEM Steering Stabilizer

chunkster

I just ordered the mounting pin and Monroe shock for an OE setup for my 92 Pathy and plan to tackle the install myself. Looks very easy from the very informative "How to's" section. Can someone tell me what the thread size (metric I assume) is for the mounting bolts for the mounting pin and the nut/bolt combo for the centerlink connection.

Thanks,

Chunk

Edited by chunkster

Actually, I think you'll be hard-pressed to find anyone with a stock SS on their Pathfinder. It was a rare option. The pin uses the steering box bolts to attach to the frame IIRC, and hopefully the new stabilizer comes with a bolt and nut? Heh. If not, whatever fits...get a grade 8 bolt and nut for safety's sake.

Thanks for the info. :aok:

I checked with the local Nissan parts guy regarding the mounting pin and he mentioned that there were no mounting hardware that came with it. I was going to machine an aluminum mounting pin but figured I'd rather pay the $15 Cdn they want for it than the time to make it.

I ordered the Monroe part # SC2939 SS from my local supplier and will await to see if there's any mounting bolts. If not, I'll take your suggestion and make sure it's a Grade 8 bolt and nut.

Chunk

I pulled a stock stabilizer from a Hardbody in a junkyard. It mounts with 2 bolts (I think) to the frame near (but not at) the steering box, if I remember correct. The other end is just that bolt on the center link. Don't know the thread size, but yes, its a very easy couple minute install.

Edited by Mr. Pickles

I managed to install the SS tonight and boy what a difference it makes going over rough roads. :laugh:

Here's a follow up of the hardware you need for the OEM steering stabilizer setup.

The OEM damper pin that is afixed to the frame requires 2 x M8 bolts. They must be at least 40mm in length. The threading on the damper pin where you mount one end of the shock is M8 threading as well. I used a washer and flanged M8 nut to hold the the shock end in place. On the cross rod end, I took the advice of 88 and put in a Grade 8 3/8th" x 2" bolt and nut to mount the other end of the SS. Make sure you insert the bolt from the top and not the bottom. That way, if the nut ever loosens and falls off, gravity will at least keep the bolt in place and hold the SS together for a while (but you know that won't happen if you use thread locker or a lock wash, right? B) )

Chunk