starter issues or?

Guest _pitbull

Guest _pitbull

:help: im new obviously and im looking to solve this delima....... own a 88 pathy and it was seeming like the battery was low on juice for the last couple of days on turning over but everything else battery op was fine then last nite nothing it would even turn... just one click and everything else stilll works fine that is battery op.. ive been searching over ran into alot of similar stuff but nothing exactly thanks in advance....

Check the voltage with the truck off. You should have around 12v. If not, chances are your battery is no good. If you check the voltage with the truck on, it should be around 14v. If it's low, then it may not be the battery, but more likely the alternator.

These trucks are very sensitive to voltage. Even a little low and it won't turn over at all....and all you'll get is a click.

If the voltages look good, your starter may be going.

Guest _pitbull

ive been working on it all night so far and ive gotten nowhere.. im limited as i dont have a voltage tester.... but i did hit it with a hammer and got nothing

Guest _pitbull

no i can get one though..... the truck is five miles away and i have few ppl i call friends so im stuck home for the nite..... gotta try tomorrow....

If everything else battery operated still works, then it's most likely the starter. Secondary causes can be the ignition switch or the starter switched (trigger) wire possibly coming loose or being corroded.

Mine went out on me shortly after starting to click and/or slowly turn over...worn-out brushes were the cause and were a $7 fix, but I rebuilt it myself.

Turn your headlights on then try to start the car. If the lights go very very dim then your battery is stuffed. It is the best way to check battery life without a tester. If the lights stay bright, look for a faulty Earth or as others have said, new starter time.