Rattle Rattle

QuismO

ok just recently, when driving around town, i noticed a rattling sound coming from the rear liftgate, or so i think that's where it's originating from. i cleared everything out of my trunk, tried banging around the cargo area, can't seem to duplicate the sound. Also, just started happening recently, my rear liftgate release handle has been pretty damn easy to pull. from what i remember, i would get some tension and a stronger "click" if you will, when opening the rear liftgate. now, i barely get that same "click", it's almost too easy to open. maybe this has to do with the rattling sound? loose part? hmmm i don't know. just wanted to get some insight before i go tearing the paneling off of the rear door tomorrow.

ian

i assume you've made sure there is nothing like a little stone stuck in the surrounding area stopping the door from closing properly hence casuing the rattle?

i had a little stone stuck in mine and it caused similar problems.. or could it be your spare? or is the spare underneath your pathy?

does your qx4 do that too? when i switch from my pathfinder to the QX it feels like the infinti doesnt even have a lever to pull its so easy to open it. no click at all, but when i go to the pathfinder there is a firm lever to pull. so maybe its just of age. mines a 97. pathys a 96

-Alex

Nissandoms: mine is also a '97. when i first bought it, it wasn't so easy to pull the release handle. Now it takes very little effort. I'm going to take the paneling off of the rear liftgate just to make sure that everything is secure and i'll let you know if something is amiss so that you can check it out in your qx4 as well.

slick: Yes my spare is under the rig, as for little stones and such, i'm going to do a thorough cleaning of the cargo area when i get home then drive it around the block. if worse comes to worst, i'm going to have my brother drive around while i hang around in the cargo area to pinpoint where the sound is originating from =P. it doesn't sound too major, it's more of an annoyance than anything, but who knows, this "annoyance" may very well be a broken part where the piece is just rattling around behind the interior paneling/trim. i'll definitely keep you guys posted.

just so you guys n gals have an idea...it sounds like a plastic BB bouncing around rapidly at the bottom of an aluminum can. and it occurs when going over rough pavement...can be easily heard if i purposely drive over the reflectors on the lane dividers =P

ok so i found out what it was!!!! after removing my rear panels and 2 hours of banging around like a mad man trying to duplicate the sound, i was about to give up and live with this damned rattling sound. that was until i noticed something before closing the rear gate. and nisandoms, it'll fix your "easy" release problem. It deals with that little "loop" or latch "hook" that the liftgate locks on to when closed. Originally, it is covered in a black rubber sleeve, but over time, it got all "chewed up" and started to bunch up at the base of the loop. so i stretched the rubber sleeve to cover the entire loop, and since it was all tattered and chewed up, i wrapped it up with some electrical tape to add a little more strength and integrity. closed the rear gate, and opened it to feel the "click" that it had before! so i tried my luck and took the pathy around the block and to my surprise, my ride was quiet as it should be and oh man did i love it!!! the sound of silence made it feel more solid...no more rattling sound!!! I'm going to go to the nissan dealer to see if they sell this "latch" or if they can order one for me...or maybe i should just keep on using electrical tape hehe...i'll see how long this electrical tape lasts =P

Finding an fixing those little annoying noises ROCKS! Good job QuismO :aok:

thanks deej! at least i know what my cargo area looks like inside & out...as well as how to gain access to everything back there =P

nissandoms...let me know if it fixes your prob. it fixed mine temporarily, but got easier to open after a while (although not as easy as it was w/o the tape)...the latch cut through the the tape on the inside of the loop, i need the oem loop with the hard rubber plastic sleeve around it. oh well, as long as it doesn't rattle, and my rear door is secure, i'm happy =D

That's similar to a problem that us WD21 owners have as well, but ours usually causes the dome light to flicker as well. You may want to try unbolting the latch, and seeing if there's any play, so that you can just shift it forward a little bit, to get the hatch to close tighter.......May be a more permanent fix.....possibly even moreso than a new part, as those plastic sleeves seem to wear out pretty quick.

quismo-how long do you think it would take for the electric tape to wear off. i fix it last night i have my pathfinder all torn apart so i was working on that, but i looked at the loop thing and it was all rubbed off like you described. so ill have to get around to doing it sometime soon. is the electric tape holding up good?

just so you guys n gals have an idea...it sounds like a plastic BB bouncing around rapidly at the bottom of an aluminum can. and it occurs when going over rough pavement...can be easily heard if i purposely drive over the reflectors on the lane dividers =P

I have the exact same problem in my driver's rear door. It is the exact same noise but I just haven't been able to get the door panel off. My guess what that it was a broken clip or something but I haven't been able to check it out.

Today I noticed a new rattle from the roof rack area and another one near the hatch, like the one in the door. This drives me crazy!

nissandoms: i think that the electrical tape quick fix is more targeted towards eliminating the rattling sound as it adds a layer between the latch and the loop to eliminate the free play of the latch, thus avoiding the metal on metal rattling. i say you do what simon says and remove the loop thing, and move it towards the front of the car, so that there is a tighter fit, thus making the latch have a more secure grip on that metal link.

or99: i had the same problem...after i changed the rear door speakers, i realized that there was a rattling noise which turned out to be a phillips screw driver bit that i somehow :o dropped into the door frame. you can remove the door panels pretty easily, with a little gentle (gentle doesn't mean no strength...those plastic clips are durable...if you pry the paneling off of the door frame and the clip stays in the frame, don't worry, you can remove it from the frame and place it back onto the panel once the panel is off) prying here and there with a flat head screwdriver, if you don't have a panel puller. it very well may be some little piece of debris or a plastic clip as you said =) good luck on your search! as for your roof rack deal, i say you tighten the bolts as the metal anchor plates (which the rack bolts screw into) under the roof might be rattling around if those bolts are loose.

Pezzy gave me a link on with diagrams on how to gain access to such things...

you can go HERE if you'd like to take a look, it's a direct link to the body/trim section...the roof rack part is in there as well =)