sliders

DSM_guy

well, i searched and read for about the last 1 1/2 hours on the subject..and i have just a few minor questions. i figured id go ahead and build me some considering i have access to a TON of 3" thick wall pipe and a welder at no cost, and ill soon lose access to that once the house is sold (may be soon)

#1 i see most of the sliders being made of square tubing...would round stock work equally well? any disadvantages? unless serious ill go ahead as planned..mainly because thats all i have to work with.

#2 iv seen some designs that stick way out complete with outriggers (if they could be called that), and iv seen some that tuck up and out about like the stock nerfies. im sure that the wider ones would help more in really bad narrow situation..but i figured most of the attack would come from beneath or at an angle. is this assumption correct?

#3 as some know, i recently installed a 3" BL, and now the frame hangs down lower than the body. are these sliders primarily for the protection of the body? would i need to bring up the bars closer to my body or leave them down for added skidding for the frame?

unless otherwise directed..my intentions are to pretty much build a set of sliders that mimic a beefier set of stock nerfies. and unless i really do need to bring them up alot closer...ill probably leave them about stock location due to the fact that i am rather short and looking at another 3" of SL and 1-2" from tires. im already having to do a lil hop or tip up on my toes to slide into the seat as it is :(

Shrockworks uses round tubing for their sliders, so its just a matter of personal preference, or what you can get your hands on. Square tubing is easier to stand on as a step rail, but round works just as well for rocker protection.

Correct, most of the attacking is from beneath. I have never actually encountered a situtation where I had to pivot on my slider from the side. The "outrigger" is nice to have to stand on to load stuff into the roof basket though.

They are primarily for protection of the body, however, they also act as a sort of frame skidder guide....so you want them close to the body, but also close to the frame line.

As vengeful noted, Shrockworks makes them with round tubing -- we have a set on the Xterra... Hubby likes the round as it's easier to use for a highlift point, no matter what angle your truck is stuck on...

HPIM2795.jpg

Sliders sticking out: I know he has also used his to round a corner where there is a big rock on the inside, and because of the sliders was able to use them, instead of worrying about the side of his truck.

We need sliders for my pathy, before I go playing smashup derby with my rockers... as nice as it would be to have round tubing, I'll likley go with square, simply because it's easier. (no pipe bender for that size)

Thick wall round is a good choice, and as prior mentioned, it's a matter of preferance. The frame is pretty sturdy, however, if your bar was desined to take the brunt of the force that would be a good thing as well, as long as you don't sacrifice any ground clearance. I used my old nerf bars as out rigger a few times, and it is very helpful sometimes. The one I remember is where the trail did a 90 degree turn with trees on one side, and a sloped ditch into a stump with rocks at it's base on the other. You just pony up to the stump, crank the wheel, and she'll kick around. Very handy indeed. Good luck, let us know how it turns out.