Spark Gap? Do I gain anything

vidro

I changed the sparkplugs on my 95 3.0 L this weekend.

Instead of me going to the book and checking spec's I ask the guy at the parts store where I was buying the plugs to write down what the gap should be.

He gives me .032

I did not double check his information so I gapped them at .032 and installed them.

I now have double checked and it appears he was off.

I show it should be gapped between .035 and .041.

Do I gain much if I pull them out and gap to manufactory spec.?

She seem to run o.k. now but could it run better at a more correct gap?

in my opinion, it won't make a difference unless you are missing with your current gap. Too much gap and you chance not firing and grounding through the wires. Too little (or none) and you may not have enough spark to consistently ignite. If it's working, don't F with it. 'specially plug no 6 :)

but it sure was nice of Nissan to provide us with that nifty removal tool.

:o what nifty tool?

that's quite a small gap compared to factory specs... if it were me.. yeah.. i would pull them.. but i am anal.. if it runs and fires up fine and you feel no power loss or hesitation in starting.. then leave them for a bit.. :aok:

Edited by Slick

Exactly, what nifty tool?

You mean to tell me I really didn't have to pull the manifold to get to that last plug?!!!

She runs MO BETTA with the new plugs BUT I too have the disorder of trying to get the very most out of any inanimate object.

I will pull the manifold again just to gain access to that flippen plug along with proving I am a perfectionist and possibly a little unbalanced.

I really don't pull the manifold to get to the last plug but I do drop my five year old into the engine compartment so he can a socket on that dang thing.

There should be a special socket tool in you little Nissan tool kit for pullin the #6 plug. First they were nice enough to put it back there, then said oops, hmmmmmm........ I know! We'll give them a cheep stamped steel tool to take it out!

• 4 weeks later...