Loud Noises

Pathfinder-jay

Hey guys, today I went to start the old pathy up...snowed all day and my blower fan was making a very very loud noise. It only stopped after I stopped the car for awhile and restarted it (1hr..went to get coffeee with the gf), then it purred like a kitty again. Is it just snow hitting the fan or something?

Thanks

P.S. This is not the first time it does this...did it sometimes in the summer too.

Does it kind of "squawk"?, it's sort of a hard sound to describe but if the fan is making any noise at all it's usually the fan motor. You can either put in a JY one and hope it lasts for awhile or buy a new fan motor.

Try cheching your fan clutch. My Pathfinder was making a very loud sound that changed with engine RPM and stayed on all the time. I opened the hood and tried to turn my fan and it was very very difficult. I replaced it and it no londer makes any noise at all. Hope this helps :D

Edited by ChrisR

Try cheching your fan clutch. My Pathfinder was making a very loud sound that changed with engine RPM and stayed on all the time. I opened the hood and tried to turn my fan and it was very very difficult. I replaced it and it no londer makes any noise at all. Hope this helps :D

I think he's talking about the heater fan as opposed to the rad fan, right Jay? :shrug:

Hey Jay....there was a post about the blower motor recently. Something about how to Not cause a fire or something like that. Basically, leaves, dust, and general crap gets into the Blower motor, and the plastic casing that houses the heater core. They're both located behind the glove box. Real easy to get in there, and clean out. I just took my blower out, as it was making all kinds of noise, vacuumed it out, as well as the plastic casing where the heater core is. I also had a squeak in my blower motor, and I ended up pulling the bottom part off, and putting a dab of grease in where the shaft and bearing meet. Nice and smooth and quiet now.

I just used a SMALL (that's the key) dab of regular chassis grease (for ball joints and the like) too much, and it'll get sucked up into the motor, and possibly bog down the motor.....

To clean, yes...you'll have to remove the glove box, and the panel in behind it.