Is there an easy way?

MaritimeMan

Is there an easy way to swap out the lower control arm bushings? Mine are garbage, and need to be swapped out. Is there a method that is easier than than any others? I already have the T-bars off, so no worries there. I'm thinkin just take off the compression rod, and swing the knuckle out of the way with the Control arm attached once the bolt is out. I'll have to check chilton's and haynes, but there is nothing about it in the FSM. Thanks ahead of time for any heads up.

M.M.

Yeah, thats what I figured. Has any one done them before at all? I got the new ones today, and it looks like they will have to be pressed in, but I am hoping that a bit of heat and a BFH will get them in. Any info on the process would be swell.

Yeah, thats what I figured.  Has any one done them before at all?  I got the new ones today, and it looks like they will have to be pressed in, but I am hoping that a bit of heat and a BFH will get them in.  Any info on the process would be swell.

I can not give you a direct comparison to the Pathy lowers. I can however give you a couple of tips that might apply from what I have done in the past on other cars.

Things to have before you start.....

1. A socket large enough to act as your punch. This will let you drive the bush in evenly It is prefered that you have a bush flange tool because a socket can damage the flange on the bush.

2. A vice.

3. A soft hammer.

4. And most importantly if this is you first time........ And a swear jar and understanding nieghbours. sssh

Put your new bushes in the freezer for about an hour before you start, this will shrink them down a little. Take them out as you need them. Do not attempt to do the bushes without a vice or without a tool (socket) to drive the bush in with. Be very careful not to bend the control arms, they will bend very easily when trying to get them in....... You will have to manoeuver the control arms several times so as not to damage anything. eg. When driving the bush through the outer, you want the outer only to be supported. When you start driving into the inner, you need the inner to be supported. It is a balacing job and it is tricky.

Note: No oxy was mentioned in required tools. Do not use heat to do this job.

A better idea is to actually take them to a suspension place and have them do it for you. It sould only cost a couple of dollars. Ask if you can watch. A picture after all tells a thousand words.

There is no shame in letting someone else do THIS job. It looks easy but it is not.

If you choose to do the task yourself, :beer: and good luck.

I can not give you a direct comparison to the Pathy lowers. I can however give you a couple of tips that might apply from what I have done in the past on other cars.

Things to have before you start.....

1. A socket large enough to act as your punch. This will let you drive the bush in evenly It is prefered that you have a bush flange tool because a socket can damage the flange on the bush.

2. A vice.

3. A soft hammer.

4. And most importantly if this is you first time........ And a swear jar and understanding nieghbours. sssh

Put your new bushes in the freezer for about an hour before you start, this will shrink them down a little. Take them out as you need them. Do not attempt to do the bushes without a vice or without a tool (socket) to drive the bush in with. Be very careful not to bend the control arms, they will bend very easily when trying to get them in....... You will have to manoeuver the control arms several times so as not to damage anything. eg. When driving the bush through the outer, you want the outer only to be supported. When you start driving into the inner, you need the inner to be supported. It is a balacing job and it is tricky.

Note: No oxy was mentioned in required tools. Do not use heat to do this job.

A better idea is to actually take them to a suspension place and have them do it for you. It sould only cost a couple of dollars. Ask if you can watch. A picture after all tells a thousand words.

There is no shame in letting someone else do THIS job. It looks easy but it is not.

If you choose to do the task yourself, :beer: and good luck.

The swear jar should have enough in it to pay someone else to do it if you try and don't succeed ;)

How have you made out so far MM?