redline mt90 vs. dinosaur gl4

mishikwest

Hope I'm not beating a dead horse here; tried searching and did'nt find any comparisons.

Seems like folks are generally happy with mt90 in the manually tranny's. At 12$ a quart it's a little spendy however. NAPA has sta-lube brand regular gl-4 oil for about 15$ a gallon....

I don't want to be penny-wise-pound-foolish, but is mt90 worth it?

any experiences with either are appreciated. :hide:

From what I've found, dino GL-4 will work fine, but it seems that in colder weather, for the first couple of shifts, it's not very smooth. Rough shifting into 2nd, and a bit into 3rd I've found. Other than that, it's not too bad........

I haven't heard of anyone who's experienced that condition running synthetic.

My interest in running synthetic is specifically related to the possibility that the filler hole is to low on this specific tyranny body and that it will not be able to lube the bearings appropriately. The feeling is synthetic will coat and stick better than Dino oil.

Even thought this tranny has new bearings every thing else still has over 200,000 miles on them.

As far as weight of lubrication fluids (I speak mainly of engine oils but tranny falls in there some where) this has always baffled me and I can still get confused. The formula for all this is a combination of environmental condition, mileage of the vehicle, and how the vehicle is driven.

But I have know answers to which is best for what.

I have located some Redline in Austin for $10.00qrt versus the local I think was Penz synthetic, for $20.00qrt

Vidro....easy fix for that....simply fill through the shifter hole. Just remove the shifter. It's really easy. 1 snap ring and you're done. Then you can put in the required 5.1L of oil, as opposed to 3.6, regardless of whether it's dino, or synthetic. :cool2:

Vidro....easy fix for that....simply fill through the shifter hole. Just remove the shifter. It's really easy. 1 snap ring and you're done. Then you can put in the required 5.1L of oil, as opposed to 3.6, regardless of whether it's dino, or synthetic. :cool2:

Did my 5 qts of redline last night. Didn't bother removing the shifter. Made a fat tube that stuck in the fill hole nice and tight, filled it up. Put the plug in fast once it's full. Done and done. I lost maybe a tablespoon of fluid. No shifter removing, etc.

I used the dino stuff and have no problems. Yeah, if I don't let it warm up a full 5-10 min on a cold day the first couple shifts are hard, but nothing horrible, just an extra bump. Another trick to getting that extra bit in the tranny is to jack up the side of the vehicle with the fill plug and top it off from there.

How does it fell now with the synthetic? Do you notice any difference?

The 'fluid' that was in the tranny had the consistency of tea. It was so full of water i am surprised the tranny didn't just blow up.

It feels much smoother, engagements are way better, and the whining has quieted down by a huge amount.

Definitely was worth the $60

That's good to know. Before I changed the fluid, I the shift wouldn't be smooth. What I mean is, when i would depress the clutch and move the stick, the stick wouldn't always slide into place nicely. Sometimes, it felt like it was getting caught up on something, nut only a little bit. So, we hoped that this would solve the problem, plus I an a big believer in synthetics.

When I get the truck back, which is supposed to be this week, we'll see how it feels.