Weird noise

Pathfinder-jay

Hey guys, my 91 pathy, 4 door xe, is making some weird noises. It whines as I go faster. I opened the hood and checked her out but didnt really notice anything, some noise coming from the enginer where the fan goes in....Seems to get worse as I accelerate...but yet theres no difference in driving performance...but im scared there might be in the future. Let me know if you can help me out...

I have a 1994 SE, 5-speed and it is doing the same thing. I got under the hood to try and see where it is comming from and is somwhere in the front. I just changed all my belts and it made no difference. Like Pathfinder-Jay said, I have no idea if it is hurting my engine, all I know is that it is really embarrassing. Mine, I don't know about others, used to only do it when it was cold, as if it was some kind of choke. Now it does it almost everytime I drive it. At first I thought it was the choke or something to do with the engine not getting enough air, but i checked everything and everything seemed to be ok. Now, I am about to check the fan clutch, like my dad suggested.

Try running it with the belt off !

whle you have it off give the alternator a spin and listen for a rumble and give the fan a rock up and down and a bit of a spin and listen for any noise

Hey guys, my 91 pathy, 4 door xe, is making some weird noises. It whines as I go faster.

you dont say if it is when the engine go's faster or if it's when the car go's faster if it's the car when moveing it clould be trans , transfer , or diff bearings :shrug:

I have a 1994 SE, 5-speed and it is doing the same thing. I got under the hood to try and see where it is comming from and is somwhere in the front. I just changed all my belts and it made no difference. Like Pathfinder-Jay said, I have no idea if it is hurting my engine, all I know is that it is really embarrassing. Mine, I don't know about others, used to only do it when it was cold, as if it was some kind of choke. Now it does it almost everytime I drive it. At first I thought it was the choke or something to do with the engine not getting enough air, but i checked everything and everything seemed to be ok. Now, I am about to check the fan clutch, like my dad suggested.

tensioner pulley!

Hey jay you said it whines more when you go faster If its a five speep it could be your throw-out bearing for the clutch

try pressing the clutch while your driveing or parked see if it quites down if so thats more than likely what it is

then its a 20 dollar part you have to pull the tranny to put in

good luck