Ordered Dynomax...

Well, I just ordered my dynomax super turbo muffler from summit racing yesterday for about $60, including S&H. A few other people have put these in their R50's and love them (model #17758). My resonator was falling off so I decided that I'll just put in a new muffler while I'm dealing with the exhaust. It should be here by tuesday, hopefully going in wednesday. I was quoted at about $80-100 for installation of the muffler and an exit pipe. Just thought I'd share, I'll let you guys know how it all works out. ;)

Well, I just got it installed, and wow! :D Sounds great, looks pretty cool, and there is definitely a performance increase. I went dual 2" in, single 2.5" out. I definitely recommend this muffler to anyone who wants a performance increase for their pathy. If anyone wants pictures, let me know.;)

In the stock setup there are dual pipes coming from either exhaust manifold to the muffler, but then only one coming out. I just put in a muffler that was a close fit to the stock one, with dual inlets and a single (larger diameter) outlet, it was a reversible dynomax muffler so it doesn't matter how its put in.

(BTW 88, you're back on AC with the name "badcat", aren't you? P... That avatar is hard to miss sssh )

Details: Dynomax super turbo muffler model #17758, $50.88 w/out shipping from summitracing.com. I (as stated above) had the muffler shop install a 2.5" pipe out, with the 2 stock 2" inlets remaining that size. I'll add a few pics ;)

post-7-1079840098.jpg

A few more details I just thought of- (this is all kind of subjective though):

Sound: At idle, you can hear the slightest rumble, but only someone who knew it was there could tell. At low RPM acceleration, the sound becomes deeper and has some bass to it. After about 3K or 3.5K RPMs though, the engine noise becomes louder than the exhaust and you don't really know its there. While cruising at a constant RPM, there is no drone below about 60 mph, but above that you can hear a quiet, deep rumble. However, all of this noise I hear with the radio completely off. Turn up the volume a bit and the music drowns out any noise. Another thing I noticed, (though I might be completely hallucinating) is that the muffler becomes slightly louder after a minute or two of driving. When I first drove out of the shop, I didn't hear anything, but shortly later on the road it became apparent.

Performance: Definitely a performance gain. Maintains highway speed very well, with little pressure on the gas pedal. Takes off in first and second (manual transmission) more eagerly. Another thing that amazed me was the gas mileage. Right now, the needle is at the halfway mark and I'm at 160 miles. That is 90% city driving (with a heavy right foot at that). I cant wait to see what my overall mileage is.

Costs: Installation was $132, which included labor and 2 custom bent pipes (they had to install a new driver side inlet pipe because the dynomax inlets were further apart than the stock muffler's)

Here's another picture

post-7-1079841988.jpg

With my Stillen exhaust, when I'm idling there's this nice growl and tone to it. Very noticeable. I've had it for over a year now and it seems like it's "broken in" nicely. The muffler has resinated nicely so that when I'm accelerating up to 3500rpm's, it roars. Its kind of hard to describe the sound. Maybe I'll try recording it. :)

Thanks for the DETAILS BigJ :laugh: I should have told you I checked out the photos on Car Domain first.....

Hey DJ....where did you get the Stillen exhaust and what does it include......Being an X Muscle car freak I am used to having custom work done....

Guest gnosticfinder

Did you replace the resonator too?

I am looking for some help. I just purchase a Pathfinder and the exhaust system is pretty rusted. The resonator pipe to the muffler is rusted off. It sounds awesome :cool2:

I have a quote for $500 to replace everything from the manifolds back. Does that sound about right? It has a lifetime muffler. While the pipes from the manifold are not leaking they are rusted and a patch was previously done.

I also interest if the dynomax does help out in the gas mileage.

Thanks---Great site

Daryl

Thaks for the compliments!;)

No, I dont like the resonator, so I just left it off. Mine was rusted also, so I just decided to get a new muffler while I'm dealing w/exhaust. Does that $500 for the manifolds back include the cats? If so, its a pretty good deal. Yeah, if things are rusted there, might as well deal with it now. As for gas mileage, read a few posts up, I talked about it ;)

The Stillen exhaust is a full catback. Its called a Pro-X. I bought it exactly a year and a half ago along with my Stillen intake. I just got rid of my old resonator. No need for it.

Another guy on a Nissan forum had his Pathy dynoed with the same Stillen intake/exhaust set up and got a 27hp increase. But its reported with that combo you get a 20% hp increase. So you do the math! :D

Guest gnosticfinder

The $500 includes both pipes from cats to muffler, a new muffler, and a new resonator. I thought it was a little on the high side.

What does a resonator do? Is it just for sound? Is anyone aware of any laws that requires the resonator to be install? I realize I will have to check with my local municipalities.

I think I will be ordering a dynomax and leaving out the resonator. :D

thanks again

Yeah, resonator is just to quiet things up even more. I haven't heard of any laws that require a resonator, it doesn't affect emissions, and unless you have extremely strict noise laws (even though the resonator doesn't make a huge different), you should be fine ;) Let us know how it ends up ;)

Its been doing pretty well. But like with all mods, it's noticeable at first but after a while you want more power :rolleyes: . I've actually been thinking of getting a Weapon-R intake with the Ram-air kit and hooking it up to my bumper mod, that should be awesome. Check out this site for a guy who did that:ram-air I'd say go for it. It definitely made a difference, kind of like the one you experience by turning off the AC, just a bit more pronounced. But yeah, I'd say go for it, it's a very inexpensive mod that gives great results ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest gnosticfinder

Big J and all

I purchased a Dynomax super turbo muffler and had it install today. I love it! Because the exhaust was open when I purchased the vehicle, I could not tell any performance gains. Most of the comments by Big J I agree with, except that the sounds seems a little more pronounced. The tailpipe on my install exits out the side instead of the back like Big J's and that could be the difference. The cost of mine was almost double because I had the pipes from the cats to the muffler replaced also.

I would recommend this set up to anyone. Thanks for your help Big J---I could not have done it without ya!!! :clap:

If anyone wants photos, I can snap a few.

Daryl

Thanks for your help Big J---I could not have done it without ya!!! 

Thats what i'm here to do! :D I would like some pictures, I'm always interested in stuff like this B)