Knock sensor?

vidro

I was looking for a "shoulder seat belt assembly" when I ran a crossed a "Knock sensor" for a 95 Pathfinder.

Can someone elaborate as to what a "Knock sensor" would be used for?

I can only assume by it's name that some how it sense engine knocks.

I would think that any individual with semi-descent hearing could notice a rod knocking.

you are correct. it is a sensor for the motor. Here it is on my '92. BIOTCH to get to unless the motor is out. ;) FYI: that pic was taken with the motor out. the sensor is at the back of the motor :aok:

Edited by Slick

well my understanding is a knock sensor isnt for 'when the rods or crank are slapp'n around'!!!!

its for 'knocks' caused by lean air/fuel mixture during heavy load . ie the mixture in the combustion chamber exploding before the spark from the spark plug & before the piston has reached the top of its compession stroke. 'knocks' are very bad for your motor, they will destroy it quick smart.

'knocks' are audible as high pitched, low volume 'pings'.

Edited by sw

spot on - knock is pre ignition.

when the sensor senses' something the computer 'retards' ignition timing, you lose power but it stops the motor from pre igniting. well thats what is supposed to do anyway.

WAIT!!!

Recently, with in the past 3 months, someone posted something about a mechanic in Arizona and a "white page" (my term). It had something to do with a smacking sound in Nissans, similar to the Valves hitting the pistons.

The commentary explained that it was a solenoid that could be changed to stop this sound.

I did a search and did not come up with the post.

I the individual that posted it is probably in an alcohol induced coma state by now. For it was mention he was going to grab a brew and ponder the issues while staring at that engine in hopes of finding the solenoid.

I never found a solenoid on my 95 but knowing the tenacity of most of those that post on this site I figured the original author of that post is going to ponder till they find one.

Back to my thought would this “knock sensor” possibly also somehow be able to manipulate the engine to create that “smaking” sound at an idle?

SW,

How in the world did you get that angle to shoot a pic of the knock sensor? On my '94 it's in the same location, but back further on the block. PITA to replace, but now I can do it blind folded. Not too bad after having it pulled apart and back together again twice.

Good luck Vidro! If you need any help and have questions, don't hesitate to email for help. I can email you a write up on the topic if need be. For some reason it never got onto the site for others to use, so I've kept it around for referances.

Later ALL! :aok:

SW,

How in the world did you get that angle to shoot a pic of the knock sensor? On my '94 it's in the same location, but back further on the block. PITA to replace, but now I can do it blind folded. Not too bad after having it pulled apart and back together again twice.

-study- *clears throat* ummm.. actually.. that's MY motor.. and the pic is from when i pulled my motor out ;) ... so i had more than enuff room to take a pretty picture.. i also took the pic from the back looking forward ;):aok:

Edited by Slick