MSD6 - Help emissions?

mws

I have heard many stories of the early TBI'd pathy's having issues passing tail pipe sniff tests. Mine would be one of those...

Before the last test, I addressed all the usual suspects - plugs, wires, cap, rotor, cat, clean IAC valve, etc. The watchamacallit behind the drivers headlight was replaced just a couple years ago and appears to be working fine. Got the cat good and hot before test as well. About 200K miles.

Even then, it wouldn't pass the idle test at 850 rpm (HC's too high). The tech let me tweak it up to 900 rpm where it passed. It passed the cruise rpm test with no problem. So it appears to be an incomplete combustion at idle problem.

I know the GM guys have nothing but good things to say about the MSD6 providing huge benefits at low rpm on the pre-vortec chevys.

So has anybody played with MSD6 on the TBI engines? Did you notice an improvement in tailpipe emissions?

(Summit has the MSD6 for under $150 right now...)

I have one and recommend it. The enigne just runs and idles so much smoother. I haven't had it tested for emissions as the cut-off in North Carolina is 10 year old vehicles which mine meets. It supposedly reduces emissions, reduces plug fouling, etc, etc, etc. There are so many things it slightly improves I can't list them all. Have you seen my write-up yet? It explains all of it in there.

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=5167

Yeah, I did! That's what got me thinking!

I was just hoping to find out if anyone has done any "real world testing" before I spring for it.

How easy is it to activate and de-activate?

I have a buddy with an auto repair business and he has a sniffer. It would be interesting to test it with and without the MSD to see if it makes any difference. But I would want to do the tests back to back for maximum relevance.

I'd imagine so on the emissions, but like you said, it's just speculation, and has been hard tested by any one yet. Summit does have the boxes on sale, but it's only an $8 rebate. These Guys have the whole kit (box and wires) for cheeper. Also, the Taylor wires from summit are back ordered, so you'd have to wait a couple weeks before they are even shipped. Just a few penny saving tips for those who are interested.

Yup, it all depends on what the real root cause is for the high HC's at idle... But incomplete combustion is always a top candidate.

The rebate on the 6200 box (no wires) is $31 from Summit, for a final delivered cost of $158.38.

For those of us who have recently replaced wires and stuff, this is the best deal I've seen so far from a trustworthy company.

I'm trying to think: Install a 3-setting switch on the positive after the amplifier and before the coil so you can revert back to stock at the flick of a switch. I don't think you also need a switch on the negative. Let me do some more thinking an I'll get back to you on that. You may need two switches. Those 3-setting switches aren't called 3-setting switches but I couldn't think of what they are called. They have an off, an on, and another on for another function.

I found the switch name... it's an 'On-Off-On' switch that you want whereas On 1 would be stock, Off would be a theft kill switch and the car would not start with it on this setting, and On 2 would be MSD ignition. The come in both toggle and rocker switches in all sorts of amperages. I do not know what amperage you would need, but I imagine it would be high. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can get a ridiculously high amperage switch and it would work just fine since it already has it's fuse elsewhere. I am still not sure if you need to install a switch on the negative yet (anybody have any ideas) but I would rather be safe than sorry. But then again, it could leave open the possibilty of mixing stock on one switch with MSD on the other and I don't think that would be good. I'm not very good with auto electrics, so maybe somebody else who does could chime in and elaborate on my idea.