Using 4LO vs. 4HI, how do i use 4LO?

FUELER

Finally rain in So Cal!!! Too bad it's done and the forecast is sun for the next 10 days.

Anyways, I was out riding up some muddy mountains today, and it was too gnarly for 2wd to handle. I used 4LO for a bit, it makes a very loud whine noise (is that normal?) and I guess it worked alright, but it seemed easier to handle in 4HI.

My question is, when using 4LO in an auto, should I leave it in a certain gear or is D sufficient?

WHat conditions require 4LO vs. 4HI??

Do you guys have any special techniques with auto tranny?

I have a manual tranny so I can't give you any advice with the auto.

I use 4LO only when I need to, usually when climbing steep grades so I don't fry my clutch trying to get it into gear, or when descending a steep grade and let the engine slow the truck down.

I have the whine on mine as well, which I believe is just because the gear are spinning FAST compared to in 4HI. Since 4Lo can only be driven up to 25mph (I believe thats the speed) I only use it when its required, and put it back in 4HI as soon as I'm done climbing/descending whatever it was.

the noise you hear is most likeky the engine and tranny spinning that much faster. It is probobly not a problem.

About which gear to use consider this.

When in low range you truck will use several gears just to get to 15mph, so I dont recommend leaving it in D, cause this will cause the tranny to shift excessivly. I suggest starting out in 1 and if you really need that much more speed, manually move up to the next gear.

Of course if you are running through mud maybe you want to leave it in drive.

4 hi - driving on the roads in slippery conditions (snow, rain)

4 lo - offroad, SLOW, getting over mounds of snow that the plow leaves at the end of the driveway... not really for road use.

when in 4 lo, I turn overdrive off, and usually keep it in 2, unless crawling up/down hills slowly... then I use 1st

(auto)