how do you get the transmission unbolted

nissandoms47

ahh this is the best part of the whole job!!!

you can reach the bolts holding the bell housing to the engine, but its harder than hell! If you have been following the instructions in the factory manual then all it takes is alot of patience. be sure the tranny and engine are rotated backwards in the frame a little so you can reach. the best approach to get these bolts is to use a universal joint and several extensions. you can also try reaching in from the gearshift hole inside the truck.

Reaching these bolts may seem Impossible, but its not, its just almost impossible! :furious:

good luck, and be patient! and take it from me throwing the wrench across the garage doesn't loosen the bolts any quicker. :hide:

we did it without using the shift hole at all, but someone later mentioned that that method worked also.

Be careful under there! My friemd and I dropped the tranny and Tcase on ourselves and take it from me it HURT :(

In hindsight I highly recommend a tranny jack/lift for this job.

to get the old one out you can sling it up from inside the truck, and lower it down, but to line up te new one you will definately want the right tool. The tranny/tcase combination is unweildy and heavy making it very difficult to handle.

Here's a link to an affordable tranny holder for a traditional floor jack, or you might be able to rent one from a parts place. Good luck!

tranny lift

Check out this thread too:

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=6788&hl=

Edited by oilman