Gauge Face Templates?

revgolem

So I was working on a car last week and when I got in it to drive it into the shop I noticed how cool the faces of the gauges looked. They had this gold and black flamy computer rendered 3d design. Looking closer I noticed that they were branded with a web address (and for the life of me I can't remember what it was). That was when I realized that these had been printed out on a computer. The numbers were a little blurry, but sitting back in the seat they looked great.

Has anyone heard of this? Found any sites with templates, or samples... maybe even for the pathy? Half of me wants to say it's just too ghetto... but the fun says that "if it could be done RIGHT"....

Guest psyopper

Artworks Dewa-San

This is THE place to go for aftermarket gauges in the Miata community. He doesn't make any other types of guage faces because he owns a Miata but... If one person can do it, so can another.

Of course the Miata community has much more of a community and cult following than Pathfinders so profitability is questionable as a business start-up.

Brad

Heres the only catch that I can come up with...you can scan them and what not, but what material would you put them on?? On the R50 the gauges are lit up from ehind...so you need to be able to let light out but not let it go back through them--did that sound confusing???

They can be printed on clear "overhead projector" type of paper, and I have also found some very clear and subtly frosted printer paper that takes color well. seems plausible enough, but needs to be tested I guess. all i'm lacking is the scanner... maybe the after holiday sales would be a good time...

There is a guy with them that sells custom gauge faces on eBay from time to time. They are white with black #'s that light up/glow at night. Maybe you could find other versions from the seller. I'd looked into them a while back, but he only sold them for auto trans models that had a section to display what gear position you're in, so I didn't look further (I have a 5sp). I don't even know if they fit WD21's actually vs. R50's, as the auto thing ended my search, but it might be worth a look.

Guest psyopper

Another thought on this... Does the Pathfinder share gauges with any other models? Other than the hardbody of course! What I mean is this - manufactuers standardize as much as they can where ever they can, it saves money, eases maintenance and give an outward unified appearance.

Start going through the list... what other cars share the v-6 with the pathy - potential source for tach gauges. Get the drift? Maybe some already exist.

Printing your own may be a touch difficult. Gauge faces are usually more "solid" that overhead transparency paper (us old-schoolers call it VGT by the way). Plus if you look at the back of your faces you will see an application of "darkening paint" to help mask and even out hot spots from where the lamps are.

I'm not discouraging you, in fact I would love to see it work out! I only want to be sure you are prepared to get what you want and there are no unexpected surprises!

Brad

sorry to somewhat go off topic...but speaking of gauges, do you guys know where to get those indiglo face gauges that are white by day, then glow in blue or green at night? i seem to only find them for hardbody pathies on ebay. here's what they look like:

ELNS022_B.jpg