Changing the A/T Fluid

90seven

I searched the forum but found no how to.. Just wondering, what's the difficulty level of the job? Would it be better to just take it to the shop. They wanted $65... They also said my front axels are bad. $340 each, P&L.

I took my daughter's 94 to one of the chain stores, and did the change while the engine is running deals, to hopefully replace almost all the fluid, including the torque convertor.

I don't remember what it cost, but the pan was kind of time consuming to get to, and we were on a tight schedule.

To the best of my knowlege, (we sold the vehicle to her friend) the tranny is doing fine, 20,000 miles later, although I did add a tranny cooler when I bought it.

As far as the axles go, call around to the parts stores, and get prices for both complete front axles. That should give you a ball park on what the parts cost. Off the top of my head, the price you posted doesn't seem too out of whack if it includes parts & labor to do both front axles.

Edited by Grumpy

yeah, a bit of a pita.. the tranny pan has to come off.. messy.

cv axles prices sound like they are in the ball park.. you can find them cheaper on ebay.. they aren't that hard to change but a little time consuming..

definately do the external cooler mod.. pronto..

grumpy, i thought she wrecked the truck, no?

Thanks for the response. I guess I'm taking it to the shop. Maybe it is better to pay someone to deal with the BS. With the tranny mod, where would I find a big enough cooler that would handle an ass whooping? P...

Edited by 90seven