Exhaust/header Options

Guest burnevans94xe

Guest burnevans94xe

Hey folks, just looking for a little advice. Just two days ago purchased a 1994 XE 5-spd and I'm looking for some headers and an ehxuast system to have installed. Haven't had any luck with the net, came up with Pacesetter as one option so far. I have a manifold problem/leak on the left side, which I understand is common with the Pathfinder. Writing from Kelowna, BC, Canada I'd be willing to head to Seattle to have it installed since we're not too far from the border. Wondering if there are any members that have had that sort of upgrade done and if they could recommend anything for me. Thanks and I'll be joining NPORA shortly when I sort out my digital camera (and wash my truck too). Cheers, Bryn

Pace Setters are what I have, but you can find a larger assortment at Automotive Customizers and just about any muffler shop can do the work for you. They will probably have to drill out broken manifold studs from your engine block and retap the holes afterwards. That is the most expensive part of the manifold saga. Headers are a better solution than just replacing the manifold again. It is cheaper and you will gain more horsepower, better fuel economy, and it will sound mean too. Good Luck!

Guest nporaip

Yes, if you do not already have an exhaust leak. If you do have one, then you are probably already looking at one or more broken studs. You can check it easily enough by visually inspecting them. Sometimes the bolts break when you try to remove them too so make sure that you use liquid wrench or something similer to try to avoid that. You would be best advised to buy new bolts for the reinstallation too.

The studs should be changed out regardless and upgraded to the 300ZX revised manifold studs instead of using the OEM Pathfinder studs. The Nissan dealership should know all about this. I've heard that a good procedure when trying to remove old studs is to tap the tip of the stud a few times with a hammer and punch. This loosens the rust in the threads and makes it easier to remove the stud, thereby reducing the chances of the stud breaking off inside the head.

I don't know where you've been looking, burnevans94xe, but with a single Google search, I got about 25 hits on "Nissan Pathfinder headers". Lots of places sell them, http://www.4x4parts.com being one place to get performance and replacement Nissan parts.

• 1 year later...

Thorleys are great (I have them) and last longer (so I am told) than Pacesetters, adn I hear some folks with auto Pathys had to "modify" their Pacesetters?? Thorley p/n is P-462 @ Summit Racing (don't quote me on this.. I know I have it posted in another thread) I paid $438 for the nickle plated headers, adn I love the way they sound. Also, might as well hike her up to 2.5" pipe all around as Pathys run better the more they can breathe. Some guys (in non smog states) have even gone 3" pipe.... I was one of the unlucky ones who had 4 studs snapped off in the block.. I pulled the motor and after much anxious goings on, my bf managed to drill the broken studs out and we replaced them with new ones.

Yes, if you do not already have an exhaust leak.  If you do have one, then you are probably already looking at one or more broken studs.  You can check it easily enough by visually inspecting them.  Sometimes the bolts break when you try to remove them too so make sure that you use liquid wrench or something similer to try to avoid that.  You would be best advised to buy new bolts for the reinstallation too.

Is this guy the "silent" partner of NPORA??? I was just digging around and found he's an admin. 1st member, and only has 2 posts since 03...

Just wondering...

Edited by TrailChaser

Thats exactly what I was wondering.....

Anywho, Im finishing up my header install today, as long as you tap the bolts with a hammer for about 10 minutes and make a couple sacrifices with small animals to the car gods youll be good to go. I dident have any broken bolts.

Im using pacesetters, and there hasent been any modification yet on them, but I havent put on the EGR valve yet so....