Tranny Question

1997 Pathfinder SE 4x4

Has anyone experienced an abnormal shift like clunk as if you engaged the 4WD while the rear tires were still spinning a bit? This has happen 3 times now, each time the temperature was about -5C to -10C with a light coating of snow about 1cm, and I was at a coasting speed of just under 80km/h. It is not something that is consistent, and it catches you off guard which is not good driving in snow. Its only been within the last week and a half and I was wondering if this is some thing that needs to get looked at ASAP or don’t worry about it at all. Oh and thinking that maybe I hit a patch of ice I went back about five times trying to get it to do it again but nothing. Any Suggestions or explanation to what this could be?

Thanks In Advance: Pathfinder Rookie

hey that always happens to my path when i engage it but usually i put it into nutrual first and it works fine. its been that way for ever sense i can remember so it hasnt been an annoyance. our paths are basically the same too i have a 96 xe so i think you should just stop the car first then put it in 4wd so you dont risk anything.

-Alex

Guest 97FINDERSCV
No its not when i engage the 4WD, the clunk happen only when im in 2WD but it sounds and feels the same as when you put it into 4WD with the wheels spinning slightly. Sorry hope this clarify my previous post.

Uhh i think i know what your talking about if you step on the brake and are comming to a stop it clunks..... right???? If yes then your problem are your bushing under the rear diff there over 8 of them just take it to the shop and ask them to lift it up and check it out i just replace all of my bushing, AC does have the parts but there polyurthan and $30 a peace i just order all of them from dealer for about $80 for all eight.....check it out and yes replace ASAP :cool2:

No man, I does it when im just under 80 km/h at maybe 78km/h, but I know what u r talking about, and its not that. And im a little pissed that they have poly busing now I looked everywhere for some, I found a company that would make them for me but I had to order 20,000 of each… ah NO thanks. But ya I don’t know what I could be im thinking about taking the bell housing cover off this weekend just to take a look inside, if nothings there ill clean it up nice and put some new oil in, cant hurt it ant right?